Gibson Brands Forums

G-1275 bolt-on vs set necks? ALso, how to tell fakes.

jlg

Folks, after looking in the forums, I'm still a bit confused about the bolt-on vs. set necks?

Which are preferred and WHY?? I see a lot of prejudice against the bolt-ons, but not really sure why.

While I see bolt-on's being put down (why???), I also see issues with the set necks having stress cracks and coming un-glued.

Also, I see a bunch of G-1275's on ebay at the moment -- how do you tell fakes???

I don't see anything obvious on any, but then again the models HAVE changed over time. so...... I see some have a strap button NOT as one of the bolt-screws, and some that DO have them as bolt-screws. Also, the position of the 1/4" jack varies, but I guess that they did depending on the year made. I see a used bolt-on with case for ~$800, one for $600, and a brand-new set-neck for $800. Are these real/fake, good/bad deals????

Any help greatly appreciated!

800 for the bolt on us a total ripoff. 600 is fair, as is 800 for the set neck. I don't know what they go for nowadays, but I bought my bolt on one for I want to say 499 new, although it may have been 599... I can't remember exactly, that was back in 1998. I do remember the set neck one was a few hundred more, and generally regarded as the better one. My bolt version came with 4 covered pups, where the set neck model came with covered on the 12 string, and open coil pups on the 6 string, so it looked and probably sounded a little more like the model Jimmy Page used.

Personally, I would go for a set neck model if I were to buy one again. It's a shame I don't have a spare 2700 dollars laying around, or I would buy the Gibson that GC has on clearance right now, LOL... But my guitar buying days are up for a while now, after my last Gibson purchase, unless I sell off most of my others to get some guitar cash. Not that I need to, I'm pretty content at the moment.

Anyway, back to the 1275... Either is a nice guitar, but definitely make sure you don't spend too much on the bolt version, especially if you can get the set neck one for the same price.

Folks' date=' after looking in the forums, I'm still a bit confused about the bolt-on vs. set necks?

Which are preferred and WHY?? I see a lot of prejudice against the bolt-ons, but not really sure why.

While I see bolt-on's being put down (why???), I also see issues with the set necks having stress cracks and coming un-glued.

[/quote']

jlg,

I think the reason there is prejudice against bolt-necks is that in the '70s and '80s (and probably still) there were a lot of cheap Asian copies of Gibsons that featured bolt-on necks. The geometry of a bolt-neck guitar is different than that of a Gibson-style set-neck. The neck is offset at an angle from the body, and the headstock is offset at an angle from the neck. This leads to a certain feel in playing that is not duplicated if you try to copy the guitar as a bolt-neck.

That being said, it is an entirely different matter if the guitar is designed from the beginning to be a bolt-on neck--witness for example the Fender Stratocaster. I've never been a Fenderista, but there are a LOT of very fine players who are (start, for example, with Jimi Hendrix and Roy Buchanan).

So, is the "prejudice" justified? I think it depends on whether you are talking about a bolt-on copy of a set neck or a bolt-on copy of a bolt-neck. But that is just my opinion, and I am very old. Cheers.

Any reason in particular that the G-1275 is better/worse as a bolt neck vs. set neck?

I've seen both good and bad about both in the forums, but no real clear winner there.

Some are dead-set against bolt on, and some have given that there are problems with the set neck.

Also, anything specifically to look for in terms of FAKES for this guitar??

Archived