Gibson Brands Forums

Refurbs - advice needed please!

steakbone

Hello! First post here... Hopefully soon to be new Epiphone owner - looks like a very active, helpful forum here.

I am looking at purchasing the Epiphone Masterbilt EF-500RCCE. I have the opportunity to get an incredible deal on one from an "authorized refurbishing center". I saw one post on this forum with someone who had a negative experience with a refurb. Any other input on this issue? The seller is offering a 7-day return policy and since I'm not an expert on inspecting guitars I might quickly take in to my local guitar shop and have them check it out for some peace of mind. But I won't go through the hassle if the consensus is to avoid the refurbs. I can afford a new one, but if I can save $300 (and get a free hardshell case) that's what I'd rather do! Thanks in advance...

Dave

If you're interested, check out some of my tunes at my Soundclick site (I'm mainly a bass player, most of the guitar is through collabs...)

www.soundclick.com/steakbone

A 7 day return policy don't mean much if a string jocky botches up a repair and refinish job. What are you going to return?

Refurb? How much work we talkin' here. The EF isn't that old a model is it?

Depends on how much refurb. If it is extensive, ask for before and after pics of refurbs he's done. Ask for references of satisfied customers. Although, if he offers you a couple.. he'll probably cherry pick the satisfied customers... If he has none... be skeptical. If he can't get yours started for a few weeks, that could be a good sign. He's busy because he's good.

I would certainly ask what the refurbishment was first, and if it was just cosmetic well then you can't beat $300.00 off the price. If it was more of a neck problem then I would have it checked over or a body bowling behind the saddle or anything along those lines, maybe be a bit skeptical as to the fix.But ultimately its up to you as to what you can live with and make sure that it still carries their warranty ( Epiphones ) not the stores.Good luck however it turns out and you can't go to wrong with a Masterbuilt, nice guitars all around and great for a workhorse and if its all good then it shouldn't let you down.Ship

Thanks for the quick responses! Supposedly it was purely cosmetic (top crack repair) and has already been fixed. Heck, I will add my own bruises and scars to it over time - it's not like this is a high end guitar where I'm too concerned about resale value - I plan on keeping it for a long time. I just worry there are other undisclosed defects. It does NOT have the factory warranty. I do have tons of favorable comments from previous customers. I think I might bite the bullet and do it...

Dave

www.soundclick.com/steakbone

A top crack is anything but cosmetic. Properly repaired it could go unnoticed by sight and sound. While it's easy to close up a crack and re-glue the crack, these are usually cleated on the underside to reinforce a now weakened area. A cleat is a triangular piece of spruce with all four top edges champhered. Then the unchamphered side is glued on the undrside (inside) of the crack so that it spans the now closed and glued crack so that the joint is stronger.

Properly repaired it could go unnoticed by sight and sound. While it's easy to close up a crack and re-glue the crack' date=' these are usually cleated on the underside to reinforce a now weakened area. A cleat is a triangular piece of spruce with all four top edges champhered. Then the unchamphered side is glued on the undrside (inside) of the crack so that it spans the now closed and glued crack so that the joint is stronger.

[/quote']

I'm picking up my Hippner classical guitar from the luthier tomorrow, he has repaired a cracked redwood soundboard resulting from being mishandled by the USPS. The luthier spent half an hour feeling around down under there, looking at things with a light and a dental mirror, then happily announced that the damage was limited to the area between two adjacent braces under the top. He assured me that he can repair it with no detrimental effect on the sound. He also says he positions his cleats so that the diagonally-opposed points are positioned directly under the crack, and b/c the top is redwood he used high-grade spruce for the cleats. I'll be anxious to get a chance to play it, not that my hearing or musical knowledge/skill are acute enough for me to be able to hear the tonal difference if there is one :D .

Dugly O:)

I am looking at purchasing the Epiphone Masterbilt EF-500RCCE.

Me' date=' too!

If you're interested in what the market is like, here's a [b']used[/b] EF500RCCE in what looks to be excellent condition (not a refurb) on fleaBay, the auction is just over and with a nice HSC it went for $467.50. Just a couple of days ago it was holding at $400.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Masterbilt-Rosewood-Cedar_W0QQitemZ160317642088QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item160317642088&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

That's not a refurb, but here's one listed by a seller who seems to have an incredible return policy. No connection to me at all, but his BIN price is about $200 higher than what that used EF500RC above sold for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-EF500RCCE-Acousitc-Electric-Masterbilt_W0QQitemZ190289711736QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item190289711736&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

This model is the one my newest case of GAS O:) is all about :D .

Diagonally opposed...

i.e. line up opposing points of the square cleat with the crack so that it straddles the crack. The grain of the cleat should be perpendicular to the wood it supports.

I bought an AJ500M refurb from ebay and I am very satisfied. I saved over $200. There are a lot out there and I narrowed it down to:

-Sellers that have only 100% positive feedback and I checked some of the feedback from buyers going back several months.

-I inquired directly about the guitar to the seller. Not only to get info on the guitar, but to check the response time and quality of the response from the seller.

-Only considered guitars that had minor cosmetic issues

My guitar has some slight buff marks on the pick guard which does not bother me and could easily be replaced if it does.I put new strings on it. I had it set up by a luthier and the action lowered a little. It passed inspection with flying colors.

I would not consider a guitar that had repairs such as a crack. It was good that the seller was honest about this.

Hope this helps.

Diagonally opposed...

i.e. line up opposing points of the square cleat with the crack so that it straddles the crack. The grain of the cleat should be perpendicular to the wood it supports.

I got the Hippner back yesterday, took time to stick my hand into the body of the guitar and feel around. He placed the cleats exactly as you described, I'm not sure why I remember him saying he placed them diagonally to the crack. At my age I'm lucky I remember my own name, though......and, I've slept since then [-X .

Archived