Gibson Brands Forums

Intonation

snoty

Just got a Hummingbird. I'm hoping it will settle down but for now the intonation is off...It gets sharp as you move up the neck on the low E string..I use drop D tunning at times and is off even more when I de tune..My question.. is that a easy fix or should I have it st up? Other than that it's a great guitar.

I have some pictures but not sure how to get them into the post..

Intonation can be somewhat adjusted at the saddle, by reshaping the saddle so the string breaks a bit closer to the pins. But you only have 3/16" worth of saddle to work with.

If you action is high, this will aggrevate intonation to the sharp side the farther up the neck (closer to the saddle) you go.

Could need a set-up.

I've heard that some guitars' intonation problems seem to dissappear or get better anyways, with a new / different set of strings.

How much sharp we talking? If the only way you can tell it's sharp is with a tuner, just use your ear to decide if it's good enough.

Congratulations on your new Hummingbird! =D>

Tommy K is right about the saddle being re-shaped to help with the intonation. This is something that can be done by you if you have a file, sandpaper and a little patience. Personallyif it was my guitar I would bring it to a luthier/tech for a setup and have him re-shape the existing one or make me a new saddle. A proper setup should include checking the string height at both the saddle and nut to insure proper intonation as well. A too high string height at the nut can also throw the intonation out of wack. Adjusting the height of the strings at the nut involves filing the slots ever so slightly to lower the strings down a little. This also makes for a more comfortable action at the first 3 fets. Again...this is something better left to a luthier/tech as they generally have the tools and experience to do it right the first time.

Best of luck with your new H-bird!

Let us know how it works out.

Thanks for the replies changed the strings and it made it much better..wasn't really that bad to start with.. I got just a little woble with a G chord no woble at a E chord..All strings were in tune ..Seems to be fine now..Should have figured it out myself , the last 2 guitars I bought had awful string from the factory......Now if I could figure how to post pictures I post a few...

Thanks for the replies changed the strings and it made it much better..wasn't really that bad to start with.. I got just a little woble with a G chord no woble at a E chord..All strings were in tune ..Seems to be fine now..Should have figured it out myself ' date=' the last 2 guitars I bought had awful string from the factory......Now if I could [b']figure how to post pictures [/b]I post a few...

Ahhh..ok...you still had the factory strings on...of course changing to fresh strings would help.

Now...about a posting picture...

Basically you need to take the pics from your digital camera and edit or "resize them" using what ever imaging software you have. Once you have them at a reasonal size ( like 10-20mbs) upload them to here: http://www.fileden.com/

You will need to make an account and activate it. Once you have an account you can simply upload any image file you want and then when it's uploaded copy the (image file's) IMG code and paste it into your post here on the forum. You can also make a photobucket account and upload your pics there and just provide the link in your post too.

Good luck!

Archived