Gibson Brands Forums

Help with neck re-set

lpfan

I have this old 50's model vintage Kay archtop given to me. The neck needed to be reset so I got it out and cleaned the old glue off of it but I'm going to have to shim it. I'm concerned about when I put it back together. Will I have to adjust the truss rod. I was thinking of trading it but I need to get it right before I get rid of it. Are there any other adjustments I need to make? Don't tell me to take it to a luthier because I'm to cheap to spend the money and besides that, my wife won't let me spend the money. LOL! Oh yeah thanks for any advice you give.

LP, it's hard to say without seeing it, but I'll err on the side of caution and say yes, you'll likley have to fiddle with the truss rod once the neck is reset. I'm assuming from the glue comment that this is not a bolt-on, and resetting a neck through can be tricky. There's a section on it in Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair Guide starting on page 152, and it's anything but straighforward. In that book, they consider neck resets a "deep" (not d.i.y.) repair, requiring enough specialized tools and jigs to start a small repair shop.

Post some pics if you attempt it.

Cheers,

I have access to an industrial wood shop, machine shop, and all that stuff on campus where I go to school. So i'm not afriad to do the work or worried about the tools. I have just never had to make a technical adjustment to a guitar such as a truss rod adjustment. I can't buy the book you mentioned right now so if you would be kind enough to educate me on this adjustment I would really, really appreciate it. By the way the pic in your avatar reminds me of Bryan Adams. I hope that doesn't offend you, I mean it as a complement. I think Bryan Adams is a really talented singer/songwriter. Thanks again!

Well hmmm. I can't scan the section, it's copyrighted, but I know they have this book on the shelf at Guitar Center, you could go there and read it on the rack I suupose. I got mine from Amazon for $19.77. Maybe you could sell some blood or something? [-(

It's a four page general instructional and the tools include (at a minimum) a string height gauge, a pressure cooker contraption for steaming the glue off, a couple of specialized jigs for regluing the neck, and some math. A lot of it has to do with specific knowledge of the construction methods, so some research on Kay is in order at least.

I'm not a repair pro and I don't play one on TV, but I wouldn't attempt this unless you really don't care if it becomes kindling in the process. As Erlewine says: "Always practice on junk". I don't think a 50's Kay is necessarily junk, they've become fairly collectable as of late. Can you post some pics of it?

Archived