Gibson Brands Forums

Explorer frets are too rough - any help???

Rich7840

Have a 73 Les Paul Deluxe I got new, so I may be spoiled. The Epi Explorer, Korina Model, I bot has frets that are just too rough on the edges & the face of the neck. Find it too tough to play compared to the LP. Is this a fix I can do myself? How much for someone to fix? My guy who works on the LP would charge TOO MUCH versus what I paid. Hate to go to strange places & not much choices around here. Have some talented friends with steady hands & mechanical abilities. Love the weight & Gibson humbuckers on the Epi, they kick versus the mini-humbuckers on the LP.

Are the Epi's just Gibson "B" stocks or what???? I wouldn't accept the real Gibson Explorer for the price if it felt like this Epi does, but now it's too late, so I own it.

Any hints and or help would be great - Rich

Rich,

If it's unplayable, maybe you should think about returning it. Why is it too late now?

It sounds like you might need a fret job. This is not something for the beginner--you should have a professional do it. It could run up to $300 depending on how bad the frets are. But if this is a new guitar--well, reread the first sentence. Cheers.

I've purchase three Gibbys within the last four months (SG, LP Jr. and Melody Maker) and all the frets and fret-board were a little choppy. I spent about $200 on all three guitars to have the frets dressed, and the fret board micro-buffed, and they all play fantastic.

My Luthier told me that it really takes about 3 hours of finishing work to the neck in order to make it a work of art, just as long as the guitar manufacturer gives you something good to work with.

Duane, that's the terminology I'm searching for - "Choppy" & now I know what to ask to have done "frets dressed" & "fret board micro buffed". The Epi is certainly playable, just could be a whole lot more comfortable & easier on the fingers. Just had the one Les Paul since '73 & had zero problems, so I'm just spoiled when I feel those rough edges etc. Thanks for your help, appreciate your time. Rich

InsideMan, can't return it. Traded a Strat to an Ebay seller for this Epi new over 1 1/2 years ago, so it's just too late. Sounds like it can be an easier fix than a fret replacement, but I won't even think of trying this myself. Gotta find somebody new & more local. My old luthier is now over 1 hour away since I moved. Thanks for you time in responding - Rich

Once you get the frets dressed and the fret board micro buffed it will feel like glass. For me I'm glad that Gibson is installing Mt. Everest frets on their lowered priced Gibson and Epiphone guitars. There's tons of material on the frets to work with to get the individual feel your fingers are comfortable with.

I wish I had before pics of the fretboard on my Gibby LP Junior, but I can definitely see and feel the difference after the fret dressing and micro buffing of the board.

pic of the fretboard after work

277128.jpg

Archived