Gibson Brands Forums

recommended pickups for Les Paul special II and SG special

Guest icantbuyafender1281734135

Guest icantbuyafender

I have these two "twins" both in gloss black with ALL chrome hardware and knobs, and chrome keystone tuners

replaced input jacks and 3 way switches with USA switchcrafts

Now, the les paul is an Aug'02 special II, the other is Feb'05 SG special.

the Les Paul is quite heavy, the SG is much lighter. Though, both are plywood body and mahogony neck.

They have the same neck profile which is similar to the les paul standard epi neck but bolt on.

I prefer this neck profile over what is on my G400 and Dot studio. (make sense they are different?????)

but anyhow, i have some upgrade pups laying around. They are mid level which is much better than stock.

2 sets powered by Lace humbuckers @ 9.4k/10.4k (neck/bridge)

1 set duncan designed HB108 humbuckers- ( SH-8 Invader clones)

1 set duncan designed HB103 humbuckers- ( SH-6 Distortion clones)

what would be the best bet: powered by lace in both SG and LP,

The invader clones in which? The distortion tones in which?

Like would the heavier paul benefit from a diff set than the considerably light SG? Also would orange drop .047 or .022 be best with their master tone control? (i have extra caps and wonder which would be more suiting)

I know both are entry level guitars, which is why i want to put only mid level pups... not real duncans.

These two are destined to be my "take to practice guitars" as guitars to sitch between or use at diff tunings

While gig wise i have a LP std+ and a G400 each with PAF's and .022/.047uf orange drops (the SG seems hotter, tho they have same pups)

thanks in advance

Archived