Gibson Brands Forums

Have they changed the g400 over the years?

jackacc

Hello everyone, new here, but a long time Epiphone fan. I have owned two g400's in the past. I bought my 1st one around 2000 and the other one I bought in 04 and it was an 98 model. I recently bought an 07 model g400, red and although I love it, it just doesn't feel like the other ones I owned in the past.

I gigged out for 2 years 3 times a week with my 2000 model so I got to know it very well...should have never sold it... which is why I bought the 98 model a couple years later.... sold that one to pay for my Les Paul DC. But I always missed not having an SG in the arsenal.

But this 07 model just feels alot different to me. It feels alot heavier than what I remember my older models feeling like, my old g400 was really light, this new one is on par with my les paul doublecut weight-wise. For some reason the neck even feels thicker to me on this new g400 but I might me mistaken on this one since I am used to the thin neck of the LP DC.

I know that the older g400's were made in Korea and the new ones are made in China so I figured that has alot to do with it. I know they changed the tuners. I actually liked the "green" tuners better, lookswise anyway, but these new tuners seem to hold tune better.

I just want to know if they changed the dimensions and build of the g400 since the ones I used to own (I know the last one I owned had a serial that started with "I") Can anyone let me know what the major changes or differences are on the g400 (if any) from say, late 90's, early 2000's to now?

Thanks! Great forum!!

the difference between the 2 ive had is the truss rod cover says SG on it now' date=' used to say gibson.

the one i had before would have been around 2001, then replaced around 2003/2004 after my brother broke it... [/quote']

Oh yes, I forgot about that as well, my new one has SG on the TR cover and my old one did say Gibson.

Does your new one feel different to you? Like heavier or does the neck feel different?

Maybe I just can't remember correctly what my old ones felt like compared to my new one but I swear the old ones were alot lighter and the necks felt different too.

Archived