Gibson Brands Forums

EJ-200 Strings

Chuck9997

Does anyone know what kind and gauge of strings come on a new Epi-ej200? I want to change strings soon.. and bought a set of D'Addario EXP16s (light gauge).. What, if any effect.. will these strings have on the git-fiddle? I love my new 200.. but would like a little more mellow, deep sound. Not complaining.. and if the 200 never sounds better than it does now.. I am happy. But if I can get a richer tone.. then I'll go for it.

thanks for suggestions.

Chuck

I suggest you try the Gibson Masterbuilt Phosphor Bronze or J200 strings. For ages now I've sworn by Elixirs for my Hummingbird but recently decided to try some Gibbys and love the sound they give to my 'Bird. Tried D'addarios a while back and didn't like them at all. I'll be sticking with the Gibson Masterbuilt PBs from now on.

• 6 months later...

I believe it comes with Epiphone own brand 12s.

I put Elixir Phorphur Bronze 12s on sounds much better. Warmer tone. I put 13s on first and they were like elastic bands so those babies came straight off.

I have been told dont go less than 11s and as the guitar it set up for 12s originally it is best to go for 12s unless you want to re set up your guitar - which you may want to anyhow. Hope this helps.

Archived