Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton replacement parts

razzyy

Hi

I've just bought a 2002 Sheraton II in natural. Love it already and plays really well. However I'm not massively impressed with the sound when the amp is ramped up - it's really messy and scratchy sounding and the pots are also very scratchy. It sounds much better at lower volumes but I want some overdrive!

How easy is it to replace the pick ups and pots with new ones? I've looked at Seth Lovers already, do they just fit into the gold guards that come with the guitar? I've also heard the Gibson 57s are good and are already gold plated. Also what pots would be recommended? And is it really worth making other mods that people do, such as tuners and tail?

I want a John Lee Hooker/Fred McDowell dirty blues sound and am playing through a Fender Champ 600.

Apologies as I know this subject has probably been posted already a hundred times but i just can't find the answer.

Thanks in advance

Ryan

Hey Ryan,

I've been working on my sheraton in the past year. I found my neck pickup less than articulate so I replaced them both with Seymour Duncans. Jazz pickup in the neck and PAF in the bridge. Like any good aftermarket pickup they made my guitar a lot louder and my sound more interesting. I was going to replace the electronics as well but couldnt figure out how to get the old pots out through the F holes so they are still there.

I read an interview with Dickey Betts where he described using gold tipped modular plugs on the pickups in his Les Pauls so he can pop them out and change them at will without the need for a soldering Iron. Im here to tell you this works.

Check out my post from today about changing the bridge. It may make your life easier.

tony

Thanks for the quick reply. I think the pots are the first thing that need to go, really bad static coming from them. Maybe cleaning them will help, I'll give that a go first and see if that helps.

Yes any type of modular M/F plug will work as long as there are two conductors. Visit your local electronics store. You have to solder the plugs into place on the existing guitar wires and the pickup wires but thats it. Plug and play! As long as you are not doing anything fancy with the pickup this will work fine. Coil taps, phase switching and such will require more extensive work which is a gross pain in the neck on a 335 style guitar. Careful not to reverse the connections or your sound will suffer.

Archived