Gibson Brands Forums

Need help id'ing my guitar (Epi 335?)

boren

I just bought what is supposedly a cherry sunburst 1970-1971 Epiphone 335 that was made in Japan. However, I looked up the serial number online and it came up as a being made in 1990 in Korea. I'm not even sure if it's a real Epi. The serial number on the back of the headstock is 0100763, and the tag inside the f-hole has the numbers 5102 T and 69714 on it. Can anyone please provide me with some information on this guitar? I'll be happy to send pictures via email, as I can't seem to get them to post on here. Anything you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

I just bought what is supposedly a cherry sunburst 1970-1971 Epiphone 335 that was made in Japan. However' date=' I looked up the serial number online and it came up as a being made in 1990 in Korea. I'm not even sure if it's a real Epi. The serial number on the back of the headstock is 0100763, and the tag inside the f-hole has the numbers 5102 T and 69714 on it. Can anyone please provide me with some information on this guitar? I'll be happy to send pictures via email, as I can't seem to get them to post on here. Anything you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

[/quote']

I assume you used the Guitar Dater Project. Did you happen to read the disclaimer on the left side of the page:

Serial numbers from 70' and 80's era Epiphone guitars made in Japan are not supported. The reason for this is that there is no reliable documentation from this time period. More information about this can be found in the FAQ.

These were made in the early '70s, it is a model 5102T, and it is a real Epiphone. They were made by Matsumoku in Japan, and you can find virtually the same guitar under various brands like Aria & Lyle. Enjoy your new guitar.

I also used that site, and was told september 1990, but found out mine is a 1970 ET 270, also a cherry red sunburst. if you send me a picture i can upload it for you and then you can make a link to it.

//G

Archived