Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage SG help

blackhole_son

OK. I'm new here, so I should probably introduce myself. My name is Sean, I've been playing guitar for about 13 years, and I've owned a 1971 Gibson SG 200 for 8 years. The serial number is 950758 (I think, part of it is worn off, so I could be missing a number or two). The main difference that I have noticed about this guitar is the body shape. Most of all the SG's I've ever seen have the bevel around the edges. Mine doesn't. I've searched and searched for years trying to find another one like it, to no avail. I was hoping that someone here would have some answers for me. Is my SG a custom model? If so, how many were made without the beveled edges? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's been modified with new pickups, tuning heads (schaller), and a new bridge. The pick guard was also removed. Here she is:

2517542731.jpg

2517542794.jpg

2517542793.jpg

2517542778.jpg

Yep. I still have all the original hardware that my dad swapped out. I was mainly trying to figure out the mystery of the missing bevels. I've been able to gather that Gibson, somewhere along the way, made the decision to make certain models without them. My question is...why?

Oh, BTW, nice avatar! I'm looking into getting a Laney amp sometime soon (huge tone freak). Any suggestions (something that would pair nicely with those vintage Seymours in my SG)?

Oh' date=' BTW, nice avatar! I'm looking into getting a Laney amp sometime soon (huge tone freak). Any suggestions (something that would pair nicely with those vintage Seymours in my SG)?[/quote']

The AOR Series are good and you can find the fairy cheap on Ebay ( $350-$400 )

I personally prefer the GH Series. I got a GH50 and it has TONE GALORE and it's VERY powerful for a 50 watt head.

rig.jpg

front-sm.jpg

I can't tell from the pics...is that solid state or tube? I'm definitely looking to go tube considering all I've ever had is solid state.

Speaking of nice amps...I'm also going to be (hopefully, if my dad will sell it to me) getting a Trace-Elliot amp. It's just a little 15 or 30 watt Class A tube amp, but it's been modified with a Mesa Boogie Black Shadow speaker...I turned it up to 3 and it was louder and punchier than my Behringer 100 watt solid state pushing a blue voodoo 4x12 cab on 6. I'm in love with the tone of this thing....it's so simple, too. All it has is an input, an external speaker out, 1 volume, 1 tone, and a switch for brightness.

I can't tell from the pics...is that solid state or tube? I'm definitely looking to go tube considering all I've ever had is solid state.

It's a Tube Amp...........all of my amps are tube...with the exception of the Line6 Spider112 which i use as a pratice amp.

The AOR and GH series amps are all tube.

Archived