Gibson Brands Forums

Mandolins MM-50

Doth

Hello Everybody' date='

I ran a search, but nothing came up on Mandolins. Are there any players on the forum? I am considering a MM-50 and was curious what you all thought.

Doth[/quote']

Doth, Hi! This looks to be a really decent Mandolin. I have a lesser model (MM-30E) that we just picked up for our

band recently to do small Mandolin parts on a couple of songs. The workmanship on this model was very good.

After having a "real" setup done on it, it plays really great. I'm just starting out myself because of the bands need

and I think it's nice to broaden you musical horizons every now and then to keep from getting stale. The model

you're looking at is a higher grade, so I'm sure it will be very good. The one I have is good enough for beginners,

but I'm sure once I get better I'll upgrade. Take a look at some reviews on the model you're looking at by "Google"-ing it. See what other people think. Also, see if they have one or can get one at your local music center to see if

you can try it out in person. That's the best thing, if it's possible for you to do. Whatever happens, good luck.

Hello Paul,

Thank you for the reply. I am just learning the Mando. Its strange, as I have played guitar for 20 years and I wanted to try something new as well. The tuning throws me off, it is like the low 4 strings, backwards and doubled. So I have to relearn all my fingerings. What a challenge.

I played it at the local Guitar Shop, and really liked it. I will look for reviews on google.

Have a great day,

Doth

There have been some mando posts in the past. You have to specify more than 'last' week at the bottom of the "Acoustics" board page. Select "ALL".

However, I have not been able to make the search function at all. I can only get searches on poster names to work. I've complained, but to no avail. Still doesn't work.

Mandolincafe.com is a good site, sponsored in part by Gibson. They tend to be a little bit elitist. If'n it ain't a Gibson or custom built, they tend to look down their noses at 'lesser' mando's.

Hello Paul' date='

Thank you for the reply. I am just learning the Mando. Its strange, as I have played guitar for 20 years and I wanted to try something new as well. The tuning throws me off, it is like the low 4 strings, backwards and doubled. So I have to relearn all my fingerings. What a challenge.

I played it at the local Guitar Shop, and really liked it. I will look for reviews on google.

Have a great day,

Doth[/quote']

Doth, I'm just a beginner, too. We just picked one up for my band to use for Rod Stewart's "Maggie Mae" for the

intro and ending of the song. Since I play keyboard for the rest of the song we felt it only natuaral for me to

pick up the Mandolin part for real, instead of faking it on a twelve-string guitar (the singer threw a monkey wrench

into it by also changing the key of the song from the key of A to the key of F because the vocal part was too high

for him). Once I learn some more (whenever I can find the time), we want to do "Losing My Religion" by REM.

Guitar is my main instrument (besides my voice), so the Mandolin will add on to those and the keyboard. I took

some music theory in Junior College, so that helps alot in picking up of other instruments more easily. In that way

you just have to learn the mechanics of the instrument, but each has it's own quirks.

It's funny you mentioned that the strings are like the bottom four strings of the guitar except upside down. GDAE...

I didn't even think of that. But the one thing I noticed that the interval spacing between strings is in 5ths G to D,

D to A, and A to E, from low to high, rather than 4ths like on the guitar (hey it's backwards, so that seem logical)

E to A, A to D, D to G, except from G to B which is a 5th, and B to E. Yeh, after playing guitar all these years it takes

a bit to reconfigure the brain to Mandolin setup, especially the chords. They really baffle me. I got two books to kind

of guide me along my way and they are helping...Mel Bay's "Complete Mandolin Method" and Mel Bay's "Mandolin

Chords". Anyway, good luck with your endevour. Let me know how you make out. Thanks!

Hi Doth,

I've been doing a lot of mado research lately and even bided on a few on e-bay as well...missed out on a 1930's epi A style that was real sweet. Anyway TommyK is right about madocafe...lots of good info by somewhat high enders. And quite frankly most serious mado folks are of the mind set of your not spending at least a G you’re not getting a quality piece. However there are those out there who somewhat praise the "pacrim" mados. Epiphone, Michael Kelly, Ibenz to name a few, Kentucky and Eastman are also some highly recommended starters.

Hi Doth' date='

I've been doing a lot of mado research lately and even bided on a few on e-bay as well...missed out on a 1930's epi A style that was real sweet. Anyway TommyK is right about madocafe...lots of good info by somewhat high enders. And quite frankly most serious mado folks are of the mind set of your not spending at least a G you’re not getting a quality piece. However there are those out there who somewhat praise the "pacrim" mados. Epiphone, Michael Kelly, Ibenz to name a few, Kentucky and Eastman are also some highly recommended starters. [/quote']

Don't believe 'em. A current production Epi will work just fine. They just have to 'justify' in their minds, spending more on a mandolin than they probably spent on their first car.

Hello TommyK,

I have played guitar enough to learn the cardinal rule of musical instruments, if it sounds good to you, feels good to you, that is all that matters. I am not looking to spend a fortune, but I do value what everyone thinks. I will probably visit the music shop about 3 or 4 weekends in a row, playing it, until they decide I am the only one interested and give me a great deal that I can't pass up (Hey, it has worked 10+ times).

My biggest fear about spending too much money is that I will not stick with the Mando because I have to relearn how to play. So I would like it to be a reasonable instrument that still sounds nice and encourages me to play. I am sure we all have played a really poor quality instrumented and weren't inspired but on the other hand, I don't need to drop a grand on a mando.

Thank you all,

Doth

Archived