Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson '57 Classic Question

mtoy

Hello again,

I have just installed a Gibson '57 classic in the neck of my Sheraton, and a '57 Classic Plus in the bridge. I used a vintage wiring technique as well.

I have a concern about the out put. I have completely wired the guitar, but I have not put the guts back in yet. My tube amp (Fender Blues Jr.) is giving me some response on both pickups when I tap the pole pieces with a screw driver. However, the bridge is much louder and there is even a slight hum when I touch. You can even hear it when you touch with just a finger. The neck, however must be turned up all the way, and must me touched with something metal.

Is this okay? is this just a difference in outputs between the pickups, or is it bad wiring on my part?

Thanks for your help.

mtoy

Hello again' date='

I have just installed a Gibson '57 classic in the neck of my Sheraton, and a '57 Classic Plus in the bridge. I used a vintage wiring technique as well.

I have a concern about the out put. I have completely wired the guitar, but I have not put the guts back in yet. My tube amp (Fender Blues Jr.) is giving me some response on both pickups when I tap the pole pieces with a screw driver. However, the bridge is much louder and there is even a slight hum when I touch. You can even hear it when you touch with just a finger. The neck, however must be turned up all the way, and must me touched with something metal.

Is this okay? is this just a difference in outputs between the pickups, or is it bad wiring on my part?

Thanks for your help.

mtoy[/quote']

The bridge pickup isn't grounded properly, hence the hum when you touch it.

Hey thanks for that, I am dealing with the vintage braided wire so it is kind of a pain. I do have another question though before I start rigging it back together.

I have gotten rid of the hum, but now I do not hear anything when I tap the coils of the bridge pup with a screwdriver.

I have checked all the connections and I am almost positive that they are all solid.

Is this just because of a different output of the pup?

Thanks again.

Hey thanks for that' date=' I am dealing with the vintage braided wire so it is kind of a pain. I do have another question though before I start rigging it back together.

I have gotten rid of the hum, but now I do not hear anything when I tap the coils of the bridge pup with a screwdriver.

I have checked all the connections and I am almost positive that they are all solid.

Is this just because of a different output of the pup?

Thanks again.[/quote']

You should hear the tapping. Do you have an ohm meter to check the resistance??? Make sure the hot lead isn't touching ground. Check the connection from the volume pot to the switch. Make sure you didn't inadvertently turn the volume control down (I've done that once or twice). Check that all components are grounded.

Good luck.

Archived