Gibson Brands Forums

Upgrading a DOT.

zapher

Hi, im looking for some upgrades for my DOT , I installed a Tusq nut today and it blew my mind.

such a change compared to the stock 10 year old plastic nut that I had before. :-k

Ive been thinking about changing the bridge to a GOTHO Aluminium one.[biggrin]

Would this improve the tone/sustain of the guitar?

Does it fit the Epiphone without mod.? (2001 Korea DOT).

Im not sure if I should change the pickups to some Toneriders tho.

All help welcome!

Cheers mates!

If you do change the pickups, change the pots, cap, switch and input jack while you are in there. My Dot (Samick 97) has a 57 Classic(neck) and Burstbucker 3(bridge), bone nut, Gotoh Tuning keys, CTS pots, Switchcraft jack, Gibson USA switch, and Orange Drop caps. The Gotoh tuning keys swap out with out drilling, and are much better for stability. For improving tone, do the pickups, but do the rest of the electronics and hardware too. It'll be worth it. Mine is.

I did the same sort of changes chefman did in my Sheraton. There will be an improvement but if you have an old Dot and the electrics are fine, including the switch which is normally a problem, you can get away with a PUP change without doing all the electrics which unless you have the dexterity of a brain surgeon and the patience of a saint will be enough to make your DOT sound awesome. Pickups are a little weak for most players in Epi DOT's and Sheratons. It's actually a generic Les Paul Neck Pickup in both positions!! (you'll see them badged this way when you take them out).

Word of caution. Have a look first before buying anything, my freind recently bought a Chines DOT, went to take the PUP's out and those nice Chinese men had put genuine Gibson pickups in there by mistake at the factory!!!!

That being a rare exception, it depends what your budget is. Not sure about Tonerider humbuckers. I'm a Kent Armstrong fan. Worth the money and not as expensive as Gibson or Seymour Duncan which according to consensus are the very best. I'd say GFS are great option too. Lots of choices to fit.

Also, you don't have to go with a straight PAF style swap. You can have any combination of filtertron or P90 or vintage style 59's across the neck and bridge and to match in cosmetics. You can totally personalise your tone or simply improve it and give yourself a few extra options.

A bridge and tailpiece change will improve your tune and tuning stability no end too. Definitely do this, but the pickup change will be the most dramatic improvement.

Archived