Gibson Brands Forums

SG issue

ralphtown

One of my Sons bandmates has an SG.

Now,I,m not a fan of SGs without trems.

I think they just look better with trems.

Anyway,he has issues with B and E strings breaking all the time.

He is,nt hard on his guitar,I saw them gig last Friday.

So,any ideas why it keeps breaking strings?

RALPH

Is he using really light gauge strings, such as .09 or lighter? The E and B strings tend to break quite easily. Strings will often break at the point of a kink or sharp bend. There may be a burr or rough edge on the surface of the saddles, effectively filing or cutting the string. My suggestion would be to use at least .10 gauge strings and to get a bridge with roller saddles or Graph Tech String Saver graphite saddles. As the name suggests, you can reduce/eliminate string breakage under normal playing conditions because string movement over the saddles releases silicone which lubricates the string at the most vulnerable point, the saddle.

Good luck :-k

If the guitars got a trem, it's probably the saddles for those strings have a burr or something causing the string to bust. He needs a roller bridge...either that, or have a tech maybe file the burrs off those saddles. Your results may vary...

Depends on where the string is breaking.

If it's breaking near the ball end it could be the bridge saddles. It could be the stop bar. It could be the wraps on the ball end of the string unraveling or breaking (usually due to poor manufacture of the strings).

If it's near the tuning key it could be the nut. If the nut slots are too tight for the guage strings he's using they can bind in the nut causing them to break. It could be the way the strings are wrapped around the tuning keys. If the strings don't wrap in a non-overlapping clean spiral down the peg you end up with a "knot" around the peg. This can lead to string breakage.

If it's neither it may just be due to poor quality strings. Long shot, but you never know.

If it's a tremlo guitar & he uses the tremlo often the string's life expectancy is significantly reduced. Especially the smaller diameter strings. Like the high E & the B string.

I'd take it to a luthier, explain the problem & have him take a look at it. It's not that expensive & he may see something obvious. Maybe not.

Good Luck

Archived