Gibson Brands Forums

anybody ever try the golden age pickups from stew mac

jimhysong

I am a bit of a tone hound and tried a lot of different pickups my brother told me about the golden age pickups

I have a 99 Les Paul standard I put a set of the golden age pickups from stew mac and wired it like a 59 with mojo tone dijon .022 caps . It really made this guitar come to life . I have a slash signature with the alnico pro 2's in it and I think I like the golden ages better . they are 50 buck a pickup ! Any thoughts on these ?

I am a bit of a tone hound and tried a lot of different pickups my brother told me about the golden age pickups

I have a 99 Les Paul standard I put a set of the golden age pickups from stew mac and wired it like a 59 with mojo tone dijon .022 caps . It really made this guitar come to life . I have a slash signature with the alnico pro 2's in it and I think I like the golden ages better . they are 50 buck a pickup ! Any thoughts on these ?

Being an amateur "luthier"/guitar afficianado..I've ordered a fair bit of stuff from Stew-Mac and almost put an order

in for a pair of these..but settled on the GFS Vintage 59s which are probably very similar tonewise.

Certainly from the economics of these, they are worth a try and as you found out, you

can be pleasantly surprised with the outcome.

Not sure, but these are probably Stew-Macs "house brand'? "Golden Age refers

to the late 50s/early 60s sound..I think.

They are Alnico V, 42awg and wax potted and you can get them zebra without covers

as well, but 2 conductor only, so if one is planning on coil splitting then the 4 wire

GFS ones may work out better.

Neck = 7800 turns/6.0K

Bridge= 8200 turns/6.4k

and you can get a hotter version that will fufill the role of neck or bridge..

8500 turns and 6.6K

SM also offer an Overwound version (12K with 43awg..similar to Fender SC copper

wire guage) and these probably have more "bark" to them on LPs/SGs.

Archived