Gibson Brands Forums

static-y pots and switch on sg-310

epi76

Hi there, I'm new to the forum. I have a Chinese made SG-310, that makes a lot of noise when adjusting the tone or volume pots, and also crackles when swithing the pick-up toggle. Otherwise it sounds good. I love this neck. Is there anything I can use to clean the pots, or should I just replace them. If I was to replace them then I would consider replacing the humbuckers also. Any thoughts on the Original Epiphone '57 Classic Humbuckers Pickups vs the stock 310 p-ups?

Thanks in advanced for any replies...

Luke

Try some canned air to blow out any dust from the factory. It may simply be dirty. If that does not get the job done I cannot recommend highly enough the CTS Super pots from RS Guitarworks. They are a little more expensive than other pots and caps but the difference in tone quality is astounding. You will not be disappointed.......period!

If the guitar is new (or relatively new) take it to the shop where you bought it. This should be covered by Epi's warranty. If it's no longer new it could be dirty Pots. Try some Electrical Contact Cleaner. Remove the cover plate & spray inside the pots & the switch. There are a few little holes in them. Don't do this over carpet or furniture or anything else you don't want to ruin. Do over a bare concrete floor, or drop cloths, or newspaper, anything else. There will be over-spray & seepage. The goal is to keep the face of the guitar pointed up, spray from below, and let drain away towards the back of the guitar.

If contact cleaner doesn't work the next step would be new pots & a 3-way.

The other possibility is poor grounding. Poor grounding will cause noise when switching, grabbing the strings, bridge, amp cable, etc. This is a very hard problem to diagnose. Try searching the web for site on guitar grounding. It'll give you some ideas as to where to start & who to identify ground problems.

Good Luck

Thanks for the advice. Tried cleaning the pots, but nothing different so I am ordering some cts pots with orange drop caps. Just thought I'd ask a gain about replacing the p-up while I'm at it. Would it be worth spending $60 or so to replace the stock 310 pickups with epiphone classic 57's? Any opinions on other good cost effective humbuckers? I am playing through a Fender Deluxe 90DSP 112 solid state amp. Thanks.

Archived