Gibson Brands Forums

Coil splitting an Epi Humbucker

anfontan

I did a search and couldn't find any info on this topic, can the Epi humbucker be easily wired to a dpdt switch? I was wondering if you may be able to remove the chrome pickup cover and get access to a connection between the 2 coils or would I have to cut the wires and try to solder to that extremely thin pickup wire.

I have a G-400 that I would like to able to split the coils on, I just don't want to chance destroying the humbuckers in the process-hope to here an answer, good or bad...

I haven't tried this on a three-conductor ( + / - / shield) humbucker, but I think it would be difficult - and risky - unless you don't mind chucking it in the trash if it fails.

In my limited experience, you need a 4-wire pickup to wire for coil spliting.

I haven't tried this on a three-conductor ( + / - / shield) humbucker' date=' but I think it would be difficult - and risky - unless you don't mind chucking it in the trash if it fails.

In my limited experience, you need a 4-wire pickup to wire for coil spliting.[/quote']

Yeah, I sure like the sound of the stock humbucker in the Epi-I like the sound and the action much better than the 70's Gibson SG I had many years ago. I had better stick with a single humbucker sound than to have a silent pickup..:-({|=

I guy in another forum said he had split the coils in his Epi, but I bet he had a repairman do it-and I know the pickup wires are like as thin as a hair.....

Archived