Gibson Brands Forums

1996 Black Beauty Replacement Parts

xycsoscyx

A while ago I picked up a 1996 Epiphone Black Beauty from a friend and wanted to replace some of the parts, but am having problems with it. The pickup mounting rings and the jack plate are showing a bit of wear (the jack plate actually has a crack in it) and the pickup covers are dented a bit, but it seems like nothing fits. First I picked up some generic mounting rings and they were way off, but they were only a generic brand so I figured no biggy. Next I actually ordered official Gibson parts online and recently got some of them in the mail (sadly the order was split), but there's still issues. The jack plate is actually about an 1/8th of an inch wider than the plate that was already on it (with more round corners even) so it doesn't fit without having to drill new holes (which I definitely don't want to do). The pickup covers seem to be usable fortunately, though I'm waiting for the new mounting rings to replace them (no sense in doing it twice), hopefully they are the right size. They seem to have the same measurements as the current covers.

So have they changed the dimensions a bit over time? My guitar doesn't seem to be a fake, when I first got it I took it in for a full cleaning, restringing, and tuning. The repair guy seemed really knowledgable about guitars in general and even about my model of guitar and it's quality, I can only assume he would have broken me the bad news had it been a fake. He even commented about the wood (forget what type, he said it was different than the current mahogany that is currently used), so I assume it's not just made of plywood or something. I'd really like to get the parts fixed up, but without the current parts fitting properly what can I do?

That's the thing, I'd really rather not just drills new holes if it can be avoided. Have they actually changed the sizes here and there over the years? I hope not since I'd like to find parts that actually fit if at all possible.

That's the thing' date=' I'd really rather not just drills new holes if it can be avoided. Have they actually changed the sizes here and there over the years? I hope not since I'd like to find parts that actually fit if at all possible.[/quote']

Talk with the vendor you are ordering from to make sure they are aware of exactly what guitar you have. Then again, Musikron will most likely read this thread and be able to tell you what's up. Maybe the 1996 parts are different from today's? Is it an Epi BB?

Sheila

Archived