Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Aj500re

Rockanrolla

I am looking at a brand new Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500re next week to buy. Wanted to get your opinions on these guitars. If you own one or played one or have heard any stories about them. It was hard work finding a Masterbilt in the UK with onboard electrics, I finally tracked one down. It is around £480 (US$730.) and doesn't come with the Masterbilt case as I was told Epiphone dont do the cases anymore, ??.

Your advise would be gratefully recieved.

John.

Hey, it's a great guitar if you love overtones. It's a really muddy guitar with excellent volume.

The eSonic2 preamp may die a premature death, so I'd advise filling out the warranty form (Shadow makes the preamp)

I noticed dramatic improvement on the acoustic tone with the addition of a bone saddle. The note separation is far better and the overtones are more beautiful. This upgrade is something you should consider.

The Masterbilt case has a low reputation, and you'd be much more happy with an aftermarket hard case.

Welcome to the forum! :-

Thanks Maatty, It sais in the spec that it comes fitted with a Bone nut and saddle, was this not the case with yours ?

I have read up on the other thread comparing the masterbilt with the Gibson advanced jumbo too, Im still wanting one.

Theres a great youtube thing from epiphone/Gibson on them also, I know its all sales talk but they have some fine points.

Thanks Maatty' date=' It sais in the spec that it comes fitted with a Bone nut and saddle, was this not the case with yours ?

I have read up on the other thread comparing the masterbilt with the Gibson advanced jumbo too, Im still wanting one.

Theres a great youtube thing from epiphone/Gibson on them also, I know its all sales talk but they have some fine points.[/color']

The Masterbilts come with compensated bone saddles, but it's quite possible they substitute Tusq (or similar) for bone on the e models, as a synthetic material is more likely to have an equal density across its length (making the pick up more effective). Density can vary with bone, which is why many if not most under saddle equipped guitars these days are outfitted with synthetic saddles. You might ultimately choose your saddle material depending on how much time you spend playing acoustically or amplified, and how good the guitar sounds either way with the stock saddle.

The rigid gig bag the Masterbilts came with (but are now available seperately) are excellent in my opinion. They are lightweight and provide plenty of protection. I've got five of them, and have never had a problem. In one of his concert DVDs, you'll see Paul McCartney hand-carry his Texan off his plane in his. That's a pretty good endorsement.

The Masterbilts are rich in overtones, but I wouldn't say muddy. The low end, in particular, tends to be very deep and plenty loud, but with a soft attack, like an upright bass. The Gibson Advanced Jumbo, by contrast, is typically drier, so has clearer note-to-note seperation. I have similar pairs of Masterbilts and Gibsons, a Masterbilt AJ500R and a Gibson Advanced Jumbo, and a Masterbilt AJ500M and two J45s and a J35, and that's my experience with them.

Don't buy a rosewood Masterbilt because you expect it be a budget Advanced Jumbo, but can you expect it sound excellent on its own terms.

Red 333

Thanks Red, thats a great help, I like the look of the Masterbilt cases, I was hoping to get one with the guitar, I'll see if I can sweet talk one into the deal, I'm pretty much sold on the Rosewood masterbilt, but can you tell much of a difference in tone to the Mahogany Masterbilt ? also does the shape make much difference in sound to the DR models ?

I cant wait to try it out.

Thanks again.

John.

Archived