Gibson Brands Forums

E-5 rig thoughts in particular; full-scale tiny bodied guitars in general

Old_Ampeg_Guy

I have this bizarre fascination with guitars that have really small bodies but full-scale necks. Back in the early 2000s Epiphone made such a guitar called the E-5 or E5 (Epinion review here and Harmony Central review here). It wasn't made for a very long time, evidently.

The E-5 itself wouldn't really be appropriate for me, because I'm a neck pickup guy (most of the time) and it had only one pickup located roughly in the middle of the body. Also, it seems the E-5 had a rather cheaply made body. I'd like something with decent wood (mahogany, ash, solid alder, etc.) Also, a smaller body would require a fairly dense wood to help with the problem of "neck diving."

It has me wondering if any of the guitar parts suppliers (such as but not including Warmoth, whose site I've checked) offer a decent 3/4 scale or 4/5 scale Les Paul style body that would take a full-size neck. I've been considering the downsized Telecaster body offered by USA Custom Guitars (here). It's cool (to me, anyway) but I'd prefer a Les Paul shape.

Does anyone know of such an animal?

Of course, I could buy a body blank and do the bandsawing, routing, etc. myself, but I'd prefer to buy a ready to paint body if one exists. I don't own a bandsaw (do own a router) and I'd rather not buy one just for one project.

Thanks!

Old Ampeg Guy

Archived