Gibson Brands Forums

Identify this Epiphone SG with quilted top

fusion01k

I went into Sam Ash a month or 2 ago and there was this red/purple (The guy I just spoke to told me it was a used Epiphone black cherry) SG with gold hardware and an Ebony fretboard and sort of like split block inlays and 22 frets. It played pretty good and the price was $379. The guy I just got off the phone said it was used (even though it seemed pretty new considering most of the guitars on the wall of a GC or Sam Ash are usually pretty abused) and that it sold and he thought it was a Prophesy. Problem is all the Prophesy models have 24 frets and EMGs and have weird inlays (similar to the Angus Young lighning bolt inlays). I will admit I thought it was part of the Prophesy line as it seemed like a much nicer SG than the typical G400 line. Anyone know what this particular guitar was (if it was a limited edition or such) and what years they were made and how much they went for. Even used it seemed like a much nicer guitar than what $379 usually gets you. I'd love to find one and buy it.

I am posting Darren W's SG Prophesy GX as it is similar to the guitar I am asking about but still different. Wondering if the guitar I am referring to was not a limited edition G-400 as it didn't have the lightning bolt inlays and I'm guessing all Prophesy SGs have these inlays?

pb130117.jpg

The guitar in question isn't mine but one I let slip through my fingers at Sam Ash 2 or 3 months ago. The sales guy I just called said he will try to dig up some info for me so I figured I'd post here as maybe someone more familiar with Epiphones would know the model in question.

I read that too, but when did they start making Prophecy guitars? Perhaps the first year was different than now? I read the specs page and it says Epiphone reserves the right to change specs without notice. Maybe this is the case here?

Can anyone else take a stab at what the guitar in question may be then if it is not a Prophecy SG even though it has many similarities to a Prophecy, notably the Ebony fretboard, black cherry stained Quitted maple top, gold hardware, and IIRC it had just the vol and tone knob ALSO like the Prophecy.

If anything it does sound like a special edition of some kind, by the inlays and colouring, what if any size pickguard did it have.

I'd just get a prophecy GX like mine if I were you. A darn fine toy

I have a first-gen Prophecy and can assure you that the only thing that's changed about them since is the neck set-depth.

I'd cast my vote for a limited run model.

Could even be a prototype.

I have a first-gen Prophecy and can assure you that the only thing that's changed about them since is the neck set-depth.

I'd cast my vote for a limited run model.

Could even be a prototype.

+1

Thanks, went through the whole link and the only thing close is the Prophecy. They have "special runs" and "independent dealer models" categories and no dice. My guess is a Prototype or a one off then. If this particular guitar was available, due to it's rarity, any guess on what it would command as far as price go?

Archived