Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup problem with EJ-200E

Hi,

Just joined. Couple dozen guitars, most are Epi's and Gibsons.

I have an Epi EJ-200E (Elvis) acoustic.

I bought it from a guy about 7 months ago, who said he bought it new, as he was an Elvis fan, but never learned to play and just sold it.

It was in perfect shape, with a nice case and good price, so I bought it.

Now I mainly use it here and there around the house, and so I rarely plug it in. In fact, as many of you know, if you have a lot of guitars, sometimes any given guitar stays in a case for months between uses.

So last week, I take it out again, and when I plug it in, the pickup doesn't seem to be working.

Instead of transferring the sound to the amp, all I get from the amp is a hum. The volume and tone controls affect the hum, but it is a steady hum, not the sound of the guitar.

If I touch the input jack (cord still in) , the hum lessens, but still no sound transfer.

I tried different cords and amps , then put in new batteries.

Still nothing.

I hope this is not going to be costly to fix, as I bought used over new to save money. If I have to spend a bunch to repair, I may as well have just bought new.

Any thoughts ?

Sounds like a wire from the pup to the preamp has come adrift either that or the earth wire - probably worth have a poke around inside with a mirror

Archived