Gibson Brands Forums

How to identify better machine heads for an Invader?

Bluenotebilly

From previous posts, it's obvious that there is little or no information available about the Epiphione Invader, apart from it's origins as a version of the LP Junior (one pickup and a one-piece bridge without adjusters for the strings).

I want to replace the machine heads as the tuning seems to drift, especially with the 2nd 'B' string. This seems to be the one recurrent problem with the guitar. I'd like to buy some good quality tuners such as Schaller or Grover. However, I don't have a good shop near enough to which I could take one of the existing machine heads as an example - so how can I do it by ordering online?

I'm guessing I need to remove one of the tuners and measure the diameter of the post at its widest point. Prersumably I also need to measure the length of the shaft --- but where can I look online so that I can match my measurements with items for sale? It's a similar problem to when buying a guitar case online when you can look for measurements across the bouts, the length and body depth etc.

Has anyone done what I want to do and can recommend a UK site or a dealer online which will allow me to make the match?

Thanks for any tips.

The TWO measurements you'll need are:

1. The diameter of the HOLE the Tuner came out of - Could be 8mm, or 10mm.

2. The HEIGHT of the Tuner Pole/Shaft as per the following picture,

in this example - from the base if the body to the tip of the shaft is

1.088" - that's to show you WHERE to measure.

Armed with this info, you should be able to make the correct tuner

choice, just have to decide what "look" you want...

0900_1spec.gif

Regarding a source, in your part of the world I'd head for -

http://www.thomann.de/gb/index.html

Link to "Tuning Machines" webpage -

http://www.thomann.de/gb/tuning_machines.html

Archived