Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone WildKat neck profiles

bwilder10h

I recently purchased a black 2001 WildKat that I absolutely love. The tones from this thing are unbelievable and as I result I have three guitars on ebay that it is replacing. It's kind of amazing how it can do clean crisp jazz to amazing blues sounds and even some hard rock stuff with a good heap of distortion. [biggrin]

I have one gripe however and that is the slim flat neck. I like a 50's neck on a Les Paul for comparision and to me the WildKat neck is a bit to slim and is very similar to a 60's slim taper.

So my question is... are all WildKat's the 60's slim taper necks or are they different through the years? I really like the black, but might do an orange or the new natural (even though I don't much care for it...) if I could get a fatter neck that is closer to the 50's rounded profile of the Les Paul.

I have a 2004 (I think) black one too-

The neck doesn't feel like a slim taper to me at all- at least compaired to my Gibson 335.

The neck on my Wildkat feels just about the same as my EPI Dot. Somewhat like a baseball bat to me- but I also play PRS and Hamer guitars.

If yours is a made in Korea model- I'd hang on to it, I don't know if the new ones are made in China now or not.

Thanks. Yes this guitar is Korean and it's definitely slim taper - much thinner than the 50's neck on my Les Paul. I wish it was more like the 335's but those also come in 60's or 50's necks so it's hard to compare.

I was wondering if they are all the same or if given where they are made, do they vary wildly in profile and it's just a crap shoot in what you get... [biggrin]

Epiphone's website doesn't say anything about the profile in the specs list unfortunately.

Well I have a Gibby SG with a '50s neck, two Epi LPs (which are apparenty a little fatter than a '60s neck) and a Wildkat.

I would say that the 'Kat is somewhere between my SG and my LPs.

Epiphone don't offer '50s or '60s necks on their guitars except for the new special edition LP 1959 and tribute models. Who knows, they may extend this practice for other models.

Incidentally, for me, the 'Kat feels just right.

Archived