Gibson Brands Forums

Alleykat: B3 or B7?

Cosmo

I've got an update: I've been doing some research, and I've decided the B7 is the much safer choice (although it looks like the B3 might work). Now my question is: Should I go for the B7 B70 or B700? I prefer the look of the B700, but I've heard reports of them being of inferior quality. I'm thinking the B70 would be fine; not only is it cheapest of the three, but I've also heard reports of it working the best. Any ideas?

I've got an update: I've been doing some research' date=' and I've decided the B7 is the much safer choice (although it looks like the B3 [i']might[/i] work). Now my question is: Should I go for the B7 B70 or B700? I prefer the look of the B700, but I've heard reports of them being of inferior quality. I'm thinking the B70 would be fine; not only is it cheapest of the three, but I've also heard reports of it working the best. Any ideas?

Good choice, you don't have to worry about neck angle and bridge height with the B7/B70. I've had a few guitars with B-70s, I never had a problem. If you do decide on a B-70, you can buy a replacement spring, I found it makes it feel a little smoother.

Thanks for the tip! Do you have any experience with the B700 by any chance? I think I may go for that one, partly because it looks like most Epiphones with Bigsby's have the B700, and partly because I just think it looks better, but I've found some people saying it isn't as good as the B7 or 70, so I'm trying to find out if it's really that bad.

Thanks for the tip! Do you have any experience with the B700 by any chance? I think I may go for that one' date=' partly because it looks like most Epiphones with Bigsby's have the B700, and partly because I just think it looks better, but I've found some people saying it isn't as good as the B7 or 70, so I'm trying to find out if it's really that bad.[/quote']

Never used the 700, so I can't offer any advise on it. I would think they're in the same factory as the other Licensed Bigsby, but I don't know that for sure.

I have a bigsby B6 on my Epiphone Broadway and a Bigsby B60 on my Gretsch 5120.

The B60 is licenced by but not made by Bigsby.

I presume it's the same story as the b70?

If so, don't do it.

It does not work properly like a bigsby does.

The handle keeps coming loose or you have to fix so hard, you can hardly move it.

The little extra money is really worth it.

Bigsby (real ones) are still hand made and unchanged since the forties.

Archived