Gibson Brands Forums

Chrome Tulip Grovers

KX36

Does anyone know if the chrome Grover tulip tuners would be a like-for-like replacement for the Grover Rotomatics on a 2006 Epi Les Paul Standard. The seem to be standard Rotomatics but with tupips in the place of beans, which is totally not worth it for £10 a head; but I might go for it anyway for purely cosmetic reasons.

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/4366-gibson_modern_nickel_machine_heads_with_metal_buttons

They seem to be the same as the ones that come on the current Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro; if so, I believe they are 14:1 ratio with 10mm shafts; but I have no idea whether they'd need drilling as I don't know the dimensions of what's on the Epi Les Paul.

I appologise if this is a bit similar to questions asked before. I'm on a Windows CE terminal at work and clicking "search" crashes it.

EDIT:

Actually, the ones on the Gibson are apparently locking Grover Keystone tuners, these ones don't appear to be locking, so I can't really go on the dimensions of the Gibson ones.

Wow, no response yet?????????? OK -

I had the Chrome Grover D-tips on both my Epi LPs, was planning

on upgrading to Chrome Tulips, so I ebayed a set still in packaging

for a decent $$$. Ulitimately went to vintage Tulips for the EPIs, so the

Gibby Chrome Tulips went on my 70s Hondo II rebuild.

This is what I know:

EPI Grovers - 10mm hole, (aka 3/8" in some circles, but actually a bit small).

Gibby Chrome tuners - 10 mm hole.

BOTH have a Chrome/Nickel ring on TOP with a HEX nut,

single screw on bottom.

The MAIN DIFFERENCE is that the GROVER tuner shafts are 1.088" TALL

(Drawing to follow), and the GIBBY tuner shafts are 1.125" tall.

I could NOT use the D-tip grovers in the Hondo, the headstock was a little

too thick, and the Gibbys were a perfect fit.

OK, the pics:

GROVER:

(note the 1.088 measurement on the right bottom pic)

0900_1spec.gif

GIBBY:

(can't find pic, but here are specs)-

GIBSON MODERN TUNERS

Modern style nickel machine with metal keystone buttons; single tuners, 3 on a side.

Single ring buttons, threaded bushings for 3/8" (10mm) hole (diameter) in headstock. Post is

1 1/8" long from base of plate to tip, 15/16" from base to center of string hole.

The Gibbys should drop right in, but you MAY experience a slightly tight fit.

If so, just attach a piece of fine sandpaper to smaller drill bit with masking tape.

wrap several turns paper in OPPOSITE direction of drill rotation, then just insert into

tuner hole, turn on drill briefly. Papr will expand out and do your "fine sanding" for you.

Work bit back and forth a couple of times, turn drill off, remove, blow out dust.

Should fit NOW!

Tried to find pics with GOOD view of TOP of tuner, but , ehhhhhh.....

ba1ce8ea-cd38-4052-a47c-f38803ffbae8.jpg

100_0419.jpg

Copyof100_0335.jpg

Archived