Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Masterbuilt EF500 RAV:

Buffer

I have owned mine for 2 years and it set in the store for almost a year before I caught it marked down to $780. It still has the Elixir / Nano strings. Can anyone tell me how long these strings should last and if I should go back to them? It still sounds better than my '81 Martin and '65 Gibson Acoustics in terms of sustain and resonance.

Also, I installed a B-band (A-1 I think) sound hole controls preamp that makes this honey kick when plugged in. Does anyone have experience with the pots on this? I will be playing for some people in a couple of weeks and want to restring but with what?

I use Elixer's from time to time, whenever I can't get EXP's. They are coated strings, it prevents corrosion and gunk build up on your strings from skin oils and maybe lunch. Some say they have a bit of loss in the high end, but I love the tone of both brands. If your axe came with Elixers, and you like the tone, you should stick with it for a while.

I play quite a bit, plus on stage in a praise and worship band several times each week, and I change mine every two months or so, maybe three when I get lazy. A comparison of non coated strings is on my Takamine, I use Red Brand strings on her, (very nice tone) and they last about three weeks, so coated strings last a lot longer. After you get used to the tone of your guitar, you can tell when the strings start to sound "dead", thats when I change them.

I think Elixer, and my LMS says to change at least every three months, but of course, they are trying to sell strings!

Pot? 'don't know nuthin bout no pot... [cool] Oh, POTS, I still got nothing... :-({|=

Lordy, strings on a guitar for 2 maybe 3 years? Although I am not a fan of coated strings, I have heard Elixers will last longer than others but a several year life span I just ain't buying. You might be surprised at what you hear if you change those strings. Hey, strings are cheap.

Archived