Gibson Brands Forums

chrome covers on open dimarzios?

fuzzybutt

i just got a g400 sg and the previous owner out a set of dimarzio humbuckers in it and theyre the open type (not sure what model they are) and i'm wondering if i can screw on a set of chrome covers on them? the pickups have the row of screws on one side and the flat poles on the other. measuring with a caliper i found that the spacing of the holes in the covers i have are the same as the screws on the pickup. if this is do-able, do i need to put any kind of coating inside the cover before screwing them in? the reason i'm wanting to do this is purely cosmetic, i just dont care for the look of the open coil humbuckers.fat.cat.vintage.cycles@gmail.com

If they are the right size, you could just do it and see what happens.

Covers are usually attached to the base plate of the pup with a small blob of solder at the edge. Be careful not to damage the windings while doing it.

Wax-potting is optional. If you're going to play high-gain high-volume stuff, it reduces squealing feedback. Basically it fills all the air pockets with wax to stop resonating inside the pup. If you google "Lindsey Fralin wax potting" you should find the instructions for doing it. It involves completely removing, disconnecting and refitting the pups, so you might want to try without first and see if you get feedback issues.

it works! it mellowed the sound out a bit too, which is a good thing since i really didnt like the super hot sound of those pickups..........another thing, theyre seymour duncans NOT dimarzios lol. no idea why i thought they were dimarzios either.

Archived