Gibson Brands Forums

Tone....

rufiopan

I am going to repost the end of a post i made in another forum... ignore the first part about hum, it doesn't matter anymore.

so i took the guitar to a shop; we don't really have any locally so i took it to one in the city where i work. the owner said it was just the inherent qualities of the guitar.

but i noticed a nick on the head that i didn't before, and like i said, the tuners were crooked.

so the place where i ordered it sent me another.

tuners are straight, no nicks. and the hum isn't really better, but it doesn't pick up nearly as much interference.

slight problem though, the sound isn't as full, and the tone pots don't seem to adjust the tone as much as i would like. if i have them set to 0, the change of tone between pickups is almost unnoticeable.

with both quitars set on the same tone settings, the new one sounds a little thinner, but it is also brighter. unplugged it seems to sound brighter.

i am thinking that raising the neck pickup should take care of the problem, but i'm sitting at work, and can't do it now. any other suggestions?

by the way, it does seem a little top heavy, like the body is lighter, though overall the guitars seem to weigh the same.

with both quitars set on the same tone settings' date=' the new one sounds a little thinner, but it is also brighter. unplugged it seems to sound brighter.[/quote']

This can have different causes. First I would think of is that both guitars had different string types on it, whether different gauge or material or both. Maybe the strings of the first one were already somewhat worn or oxidized. Especially thick plain strings (G string, even B string on heavy gauge string sets) tend to sound muffled.

Also the wood can make a significant difference. No two guitars made from wood do sound exactly the same. Maybe the wood of the second one is slightly harder, thus making it sound slightly brighter.

ok, yea thats what i was thinking. the first one seemed to have more depth though, but the second one more resonance. sounds strange, huh? i don't really get it. i would figure denser wood would cause both... that's why i figured adjusting the pickups might help. what do you think?

the second guitar is perfect, and the tuners are straight, unlike the other. intonates better, noise ratio is better, it just doesn't sound as full. which of course is a huge thing. i'm hoping it is a simple fix for that reason.

and the new guitar has new strings, the other are slightly older, they are what came stock from the new guitar, ha.

but i remember what it sounded like with the strings i had on it, and the change actually was pretty minimal.

seems as though the resonance of the guitar comes through more on the new one, but isn't as full. thats what made me think of adjusting the pups.

i wish haha...

they'll charge me for both if they don't get tracking on the return within ten days.

i guess i could find a way around that, but....

i managed to get the second dots tone very close, maybe even better than the other's, with that pup adjustment. and without the hum and without the nick and without the crooked tuners. haha! success.

but i'm wondering what the first would sound like with some tweaking....

i did tinker a little, and it didn't seem to cause the same changes as in the other. i'm just not going to mess with it and send it back. i'm happy with the other one now.

so... thanks to everyone who helped out. i appreciate it.

Archived