Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for a "Spirit" like Steinberger

Inblut

I have parts for a few Spirits right now and I am getting more on a regular basis. I could put a guitar together for you with what ever parts you pick. As I do sell parts, you may be able to find a better deal on eBay if you take the time to track prices and bid on a few nice ones till you win. I find eBay prices for a baseline Spirit range from $300 to over $400 (that price includes shipping costs). I have had decent luck on finding decent prices and conditions on eBay, but there is some variation as you would expect: for example, a while back I got one and the spring tension screw popped out of the base plate as soon as I unpacked the guitar. It shredded the threads, pretty much ruining the base plate which cost $90 new, there is a buy it now listen on eBay currently for $75, still more than I want to put into a guitar I thought was in good condition.

Along with that, Tim Small sells on eBay, sometimes he has Spirits (or other Steinys) that he "refurbished" or "upgraded." He is a very nice guy, reasonable and he may have something you are interested in. I have heard he is very good at what he does.

Another option is a custom build. Paul Morley at Fretsong is, in my understanding, considered to be top notch for headless guitars at a reasonable price. I am getting something from him, he is waiting for some swamp ash for me currently. A nice thing about customized ones is that you can get rid of the potentially troublesome r-trem with a better sounding hardtail from jcustom. These are also sold on eBay, they link to Bernd Meissner (who posts on this site sometimes) because you need the shim he builds to put the jcustom hardtail bridge at the same height as the r-trem. I know paul works with Jcustom bridges often, I think Tim does as well. If you wanted me to put a guitar together, I would be happy to do this as well.

There is always the option of buying one of the older more expensive ones, but spending that much for a vintage, I personally would get a really nice, new, custom build from Paul at fretsong.

Hopefully this info is helpful! You can contact me if you want: jweingarden@gmail.com and you can find Tim Small's stuff on eBay if you like what he has or visit Paul's website at fretsong.com

Let me know if this brings up any other questions or ideas,

Jon

Archived