Gibson Brands Forums

Tak Matsumoto sig guitar / 2005 DC

jamman

Hi everyone, If Customer Service is also out there , i'm in need of a little help. I just bought a 2005 Tak Matsumoto DC Quilt.

If any one has specs on this guitar it would be of great help to me . i've tryed the net and not much there. I'm waiting for a responce from C/S

of an email I sent them. Any link would be great too. Thanks in advance. jamman

:-k those tak matsumoto sig les pauls are excellent gtrs both single cutaway model and double cutaway model made by mr.edwin wilson of CS. there have been many varietions since the first one and its quilt top is considered to be the best of the best quilt that CS had. tak is famous in japan but not in the world i guess so my question to you is why did you bought it? i am sure you like it very much and its really an excellent gtr but are you japanese somehow? like the japanese-american or? just wondering ......j

:-({|=

Hey Joe, thanks for all the info, It gives me more insight on these fine guitars, than I had before. And, they are very fine guitars. I bought this guitar, on the factors of, looks, rarity, collectability, price, and being a different type of LP model (DC). I think that this guitar meets those requirements. But most of all its a great looking guitar. I have yet to see a Gibson that comes close to how this guitar looks. Imo. This is the best guitar Ive ever played. I dont think one could get a better Gibson than this one. Imo. As far as being a signature Model guitar, that was what it is. It was not the primary factor in buying the guitar.

The story behind this guitar is , I was looking at the LP forum and came across a thread that was asking if anyone knew where a guitar like the 1 in the thread was in America. I looked at the thread and a response to the thread ,which had a link to an Ebay sale. There was one guitar for sale from Japan . I knew from the looks of the guitar and from the price and after some research that this 1 should have a good chance of being rare , here. The price was right. The next evening, I bought it. So, that is all the ties I have to Japan. I'm American. It just happened to be where the guitar was. I really didnt remember who Tak Matsumoto was until I did some research on the guitar. And than I remembered getting an email from Gibson awhile back with him and Larry Carlton. He is a world class guitar player. Very good . Gibson Custom Shop did right bye him in making this guitar. I bought the guitar after seeing what it is, compaired to what i wanted in a guitar. At the right price. Bingo. home run.

again thanks,

jamman

Hi Joe, I have another question for you . Maybe you have the answer. I am waiting for Gibson to get back to me with info from the C/S but in the meantime. I understand that the pickups are a specail run for these guitars. In doing my set up set up last night, I took the pups out to check the underside markings. I want to know if they are the Orginal pups.They were marked as following, neck- #2nd AL V /wound by PS // bridge- #3 AL V/wound by PS

Both pups are potted, plus PAF stickers.

My question is,is this correct for these pickups ? They look untouched. I do know from a 2005 LP standard I have, that had Burstbucker Pro's , that they were marked excactly this way.except they were #1 & #2 . any imput would be great. Thanks in advance.

Archived