Gibson Brands Forums

Medium strings on a Dot?

Patricio Murphy

Anyone using 0.13s or 0.12s on a Dot?

Mine came with (I think) 0.10s, I restringed it with 0.11s, and still find I would like a little more tension, but my guitar is new, I'm not familiar wth this kind of guitar yet (other than being extremely happy with its sound)and don't know if it's designed to withstand that tension.

Any advice much appreciated!

Pat

Hi Pat

I'm a little confused by your referring to 12's or 13's as medium strings as by electric standards these would be described as heading towards the heavy end (10's are more what you'd describe as medium).

Are you coming at it from an acoustic point of view where 12's or 13's would be mediums.

The Dot will happily take 13's but you'll need to re-cut the nut and adjust the truss rod to suit (possibly open up the saddle slots as well) but make sure you are using electric and not acoustic strings. Having said that I'm intrigued as to how a set of bronze 12's would sound on the Dot - might just give it a try.

BTW - Welcome to the board

Hi Pat

I'm a little confused by your referring to 12's or 13's as medium strings as by electric standards these would be described as heading towards the heavy end (10's are more what you'd describe as medium).

Are you coming at it from an acoustic point of view where 12's or 13's would be mediums.

The Dot will happily take 13's but you'll need to re-cut the nut and adjust the truss rod to suit (possibly open up the saddle slots as well) but make sure you are using electric and not acoustic strings. Having said that I'm intrigued as to how a set of bronze 12's would sound on the Dot - might just give it a try.

BTW - Welcome to the board

Hi, thanks!

You're right, I come from an acoustic background, and I fit my guitars with 0.13 mediums (hence my confusion). used to have a Washburn archtop that also had those, but flatwound.

I think I'l stick with 0.11s for now and maybe in the future had it set up to take 0.12s if I feel I need it.

Thanks again for the reply!

Pat

Archived