Gibson Brands Forums

NORLIN EPI D10 Accoustic ???

robf

Hi , I have just joined and wish to know if anyone has heard of and has any info about a Norlin EPI D10 . Serial no ; 11903817 . Made in Taiwan . I think I am right in saying that , Norlin took over Gibson from 69 to 82 ish . Is the guitar classed as a Gibson . It actually sounds really good , nice and bassy with a very clear top end , but the neck is a little bent and the truss rod is very tight . ( Any suggestions as how to straighten the neck again ) . I've just found it at an auction for £75 . All solid wood , no ply to be seen . Any help or advice is very welcome . Cheers Rob .IMG_0876 - 2010-08-28 at 14-13-58.tiff

Your Epi is one of two acoustic models that were part of a budget series of guitars made in the late 1970s and early 1980s at one of the Pearl factories (I think there were like five of them) in Taiwan. At least one electric was also made in Taiwan during these years.

If I recall, the decision to do this was made by the head of marketing at Gibson and not Matsumoku which was building Epis in Japan.

Regarding the neck - sounds like you might be looking at a neck reset which needs to be done by a skilled repair guy. With the cost of a neck reset added in you will end up with alot more invested in the guitar than you would be able to recoup if you decided to sell it. So I would make darn sure the guitar is a keeper before you put any more of your hard earned scratch in it.

Your Epi is one of two acoustic models that were part of a budget series of guitars made in the late 1970s and early 1980s at one of the Pearl factories (I think there were like five of them) in Taiwan. At least one electric was also made in Taiwan during these years.

If I recall, the decision to do this was made by the head of marketing at Gibson and not Matsumoku which was building Epis in Japan.

Regarding the neck - sounds like you might be looking at a neck reset which needs to be done by a skilled repair guy. With the cost of a neck reset added in you will end up with alot more invested in the guitar than you would be able to recoup if you decided to sell it. So I would make darn sure the guitar is a keeper before you put any more of your hard earned scratch in it.

Thanks very much for your reply and your time . I won't sell it . I've only got 7 guitars at the moment , so a few more won't go amiss . Cheers Rob .

There is additional discussion about the "Epi" brand name over on the Epiphone Acoustics board. One cat, just posted his Epi D12. It appears to be an upscale 6 string with zippered back, Spanish heal and other upscale accouterments. I've seen Epi's that are much plainer.

I can't seem to open a quality image from your link. Post pics to PhotoBucket.com, then post a link or image link here. Inside-the-sound-hole label is a must. Back and front shots are helpful.

Archived