Gibson Brands Forums

is this guitar real?

sg_guitar

So...there is no way whatsoever to be able to tell if it is a 100% fake Epiphone guitar? I have checked various photos on the Gibson/Epiphone website and I see so many with different pots positions, different headstock transitions from the neck to the headstock (the cut/shape of the transition) and different alignment of the tuners.

Does Epiphone put headstocks similar in design to the Epiphone Semi-Hollowbody guitars on certain editions of their Les Paul guitars? Their headstocks look like they have a different cut than the Les Pauls? I see some differences in the headstocks of the Les Paul Customs. (the bottom of the haedstock where it transitions into the neck)

I have checked all points presented in this thread. The above statements are a result of my limited comparison capability. I will continue to compare going forward but it is very confusing. If Epiphone would have kept a handle on their products and serial numbers this would not be an issue IMHO.

If this is indeed the situation I doubt I will buy a used Epiphone guitar ever again. It may deter me from purchasing a new one because utlimately, I may never be able to prove 100% that the guitar is legitimate. Apart from disection.

Also, I was hoping someone may sign in with some info/enlightenment from official Gibson/Epiphone. :(

The problem is that you can't expect a definitive answer from a couple of low res photos. You can't prove a guitar's real, you might be able to spot a fake.

This is not just about Epiphone, it's an industry wide problem. Gibson, Gretsch, Rickenbacker, Ibanez, PRS have all been vicitimized. And though you might not think so, Gibson/Epiphone has done a lot to shut down the counterfeiter's operation. See:

How to Spot a Counterfeit Gibson Counterfeit Guitar Bust Korean Counterfeit Ring

Anytime you buy used, you are taking a chance. For the sake of argument, let's pretend your guitar is a fake. Epiphone has no liability. They didn't make the guitar, it wasn't sold through an authorized dealer, what would you want them to do??? Do you expect them to keep a database of counterfeit guitar serial #s??? As I pointed out previously, it's very easy for counterfeiters to make up serial #s that seem perfectly legitimate. Your recourse is not with Epiphone, it's with the guy who sold it to you.

Bottom line, buy new from an authorized dealer. Never buy a new guitar from someone who is not an authorized dealer. If you do buy used, look for an older one and avoid used guitars that look brand new and have a recent serial #. If it doesn't seem right, walk away. Not having the USA sticker would be enough to question the deal.

If you want, check out the electronics, the switch & jack should say Epiphone

390117033184_0.jpg

Sorry for the small pictures

N_LPfeat3.jpg

Also, it should have the new LockTone Bridge & Tailpiece. There's a little spring clip that lock them to the posts:

LockTight3.jpg

I believe they say Epiphone on the underside as well. If you don't have the LockTone hardware and Epiphone logo on the jack and switch, I would be suspicious.

Good Luck

The problem is that you can't expect a definitive answer from a couple of low res photos. You can't prove a guitar's real, you might be able to spot a fake.

This is not just about Epiphone, it's an industry wide problem. Gibson, Gretsch, Rickenbacker, Ibanez, PRS have all been vicitimized. And though you might not think so, Gibson/Epiphone has done a lot to shut down the counterfeiter's operation. See:

Anytime you buy used, you are taking a chance. For the sake of argument, let's pretend your guitar is a fake. Epiphone has no liability. They didn't make the guitar, it wasn't sold through an authorized dealer, what would you want them to do??? Do you expect them to keep a database of counterfeit guitar serial #s??? As I pointed out previously, it's very easy for counterfeiters to make up serial #s that seem perfectly legitimate. Your recourse is not with Epiphone, it's with the guy who sold it to you.

Bottom line, buy new from an authorized dealer. Never buy a new guitar from someone who is not an authorized dealer. If you do buy used, look for an older one and avoid used guitars that look brand new and have a recent serial #. If it doesn't seem right, walk away. Not having the USA sticker would be enough to question the deal.

Sorry for the small pictures

Also, it should have the new LockTone Bridge & Tailpiece. There's a little spring clip that lock them to the posts:

I believe they say Epiphone on the underside as well. If you don't have the LockTone hardware and Epiphone logo on the jack and switch, I would be suspicious.

Good Luck

Thanks for your reply Flickwood Mac:). What I am saying is that it would be easier to determine if your serial number is valid or not if the respective companies kept a database with all the manufactured guitars' serial numbers. It seems to work for automobiles, etc. I realize that the manufactures are not responsible for the conterfeit scene and do not expect them to keep serial numbers of conterfeit guitars.

As for my used Epiphone I purchased 2 years ago, it has the USA setup/check sticker but mine has the pots positions just a hair behind the stop tail piece. We purchased a new Epihone Les Paul for my son so I have been comparing his to mine. I will check the other points you have provided and the new links as well. TX for that too:)!

Also, I am still wondering if anyone knows if there are different headstocks used. Like I said, it looks like the Epiphone Semi-Hollowbody guitars have a narrower headstock with a less pronounced cut at the bottom at the neck transition than some of the Epiphone Les Paul guitars.

Good Luck

Hey there jerrymac, I will follow up with "Gibson’s Customer Service team" once my investigation is completed. I will send them photos etc. Cheers:-)!

390117033184_0.jpg

N_LPfeat3.jpg

I don't have Epiphone on the switch. However the guitar was purchased used in 2008 and the switch looks identical to the one I have checked out ar my local guitar shop brand named Allparts. It could have been upgraded. I have read that the swtiches, input jacks and pots are pretty low quality and usually fail or are replaced.

LockTight3.jpg

Good Luck

I have this same LockTone bridge & tailpiece.

It is confusing to say the least.

Archived