Gibson Brands Forums

robo or normo!

AaronJames

I am fortunate to have a Dark Fire and a 2008 Plus Top Standard: they are both phenomenal instruments. honestly if i ripped out all the guts of the DF and wired it "normally", i would still like it for the way it feels: it really is that good. the electronics are a tech plus to me. Recording with it is fun too, and while i am still learning all the things i can do with the RIP and software, so far so good... it melds two of my worlds: computers and music.

I do like that Gibson is testing things out, pushing boundaries: no harm there. and, I doubt that Gibson considers the Robot guitars to be "bread and butter"... there's a specific target audience that will enjoy the product. plenty of other stuff available for sale last i checked... [biggrin]

-Don

here are some pics.

standard4.jpgdarkfire.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just think, soon enough the Les Paul's body will have to be made larger to accommodate a touch screen computer where you will be able to check your Facebook page, Email, browse the internet, and visit the Gibson Forums. There will also be space in the electronics cavity for a Wi-Fi SIM card connected to the Gibson 4G wireless network!

dry.gif

Yeah, there's enough room in an LP body for all you mention.

But we're in a time period of incredible change with all kinds of devices that somehow communicate with others and use all kinds of fancy stuff.

We've been through it before. Bottom line is that some stuff will stand the test of time and other stuff will be considered a "fad from the olden days."

I obviously know how to tune a guitar but... if I had the cash and Gib/Epi made a robot semi, I'd very strongly consider it, especially with a bridge piezo and a decent human interface. We're experimenting as a culture as to what and how we want our devices to interface with each other, too.

I've already suggested an interchangeable module for the LP and semi-size guitars that could include a wireless to amp.

The next generation - roughly 20 years - will show how some of this stuff is accepted or not by the general guitar-playing public. We still have folks who won't consider an EA 'cuz it has electronics - but they happily use a PA system and always struggle with mikes. I dunno.

m

Archived