Gibson Brands Forums

question about pickups

apnea_xaos

hello from Greece! :)

I own a Gibson Les Paul studio with a 490R (neck) and a 498T (bridge).

i want to change the pickus and my question is, which pickups should i choose??

I'm thinking to install the 57' classic in neck position for bluesy stuff. and in bridge position I'm thinking to install the dirty fingers to have more aggressive sounds for hard rock and in some cases heavy metal.

the truth is that I'm a bit confused! ](*,)

do you have any other combination to suggest me so i can play both bluesy stuff and hard rock?

thanks!!!

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny because the 490R and 498T is what I would have recommended if you didn't tell us what pickups you have.

The 57 Classics are great, and are definitely versitle. The Dirty Fingers are pretty extreme pickups, and might not be the best match with the 57 Classic. Of course, that's just one man's opinion.

I would actually try out a 57 Classic and a Burstbucker Pro. The thing about choosing a pickup is that it is so dependent upon what you like, as well as your other gear... Go to a guitar shop and try out a bunch of Les Pauls on your amp. When you find a bridge pickup you like, ask the clerk what the pickup is. Do the same thing with the neck pickup. That has always been a good way of getting a rough idea for me.

• 1 month later...

Since the Dirty Fingers are the hottest pickups Gibson makes (similar to the 500T) I would have suggested 496R or something similar for the neck pickup.On the other hand,if you have a Classic ´57 in the neck position,Classic ´57+ would be the obvious choice for the bridge.Good luck in your quest for "THE sound"

Archived