Gibson Brands Forums

Say KSDADDY

TommyK

I took my once a quarter tour of the Ksdaddy website and did not see the Ovation / Applause / Academy used in your avatar. What is it? It has a very unusual burst.

I particularly like the 'Miserable Wreck'. I couldn't tell from the narrative. How did you fix the two 20d staples holding the neck on?

The one in the avatar is a (Korean) Applause AA-31. Hard to say when it was made; they started in Korea in 1982 I think. I won it on ebay with a brown Ovation hardshell case for $35. I'm not even sure if it's been shipped yet, but it's in the works. Not sure what's going on with the custom paint job.... I think someone just got done airbrushing a '64 Impala and decided to go nuts on their guitar too.

o6zp7t.jpg

The Miserable Wreck cello is alive and well, albeit uplayed and dusty. It did explode a month or two ago; the tailgut broke and of course the bridge and strings went flying in all different directions. No ancillary cosmetic damage and thankfully the sound post didn't fall. $7 later I had it back running. I just got around to fixing it this week. If I recall correctly, the bigass spikes in the neck were left in place... kinda like leaving a bullet inside the shooting victim rather than attempt removal. I did work some glue into the open cracks around them, then I think I think I hit them with a dremel tool to get them below the surface of the surrounding wood. Then it was just a matter of using wood filler. And a lot of tinted lacquer.

A LOT of tinted lacquer....

Spackle covers a lot of carpenters' sins.

I agree about the Impala. Up close it looks a bit like some Harmony flat tops they made with two tone paint. Some even had chrome automotive body molding screwed to the tops. They called them "Caribbean" and "Colorama"

Apparently they were popular in South and Central America.

Here is a Harmony site's page that shows a catalog page of them:

http://www.broadwaymusicco.com/harmony26.htm

It's about half way down, past the arch tops.

When you don't have anything else to do drill back to broadwaymsucco...etc. This cat and his wife travel the middle part of the country performing at 4-H fairs, VFW halls and State fairs. He brings his own fold out stage, tucked into the cargo box of a 1947 Studebaker truck. It's an engineering marvel.

Archived