Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup question

KVL

Hey gang,

I'm a total 6 string newb... (I just posted my intro thread, too.)

I'm looking at the Epiphone Les Paul Studio and it's listed as having the Alnico classic humbucker pickups. However, I saw the Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Studio Deluxe which is listed as having the Alnica classic plus humbuckers.

Looking at pics, one is covered and the other isn't, but other than aesthetics, does it make a huge difference in sound?

I realy like a fat, warm, rich tone that cry the blues.

Hi and welcome KVL.

The way an electric guitar sounds is the result of a number of different factors and examples of a given model can sound quite different. Factors include the wind of the pickup and the materials, the timber and the body style, and the strings and setup. Externally, the player and the amp have a huge impact.

Whether or not the pickups are covered might make a bit of difference to the tone but not a lot.

If you are thinking about buying your first, I would:

• try lots of guitars
  • think about playability as well as tone and appearance, particularly how the neck feels in your hands
  • wait for the one that says, "take me home"
  • give yourself permission to get that first choice wrong. You will learn a lot in your first twelve months or so of playing electric.

Archived