Gibson Brands Forums

Would like some advice for my ES-175

luvmy175

Only my second post. I posted in the introduction thread as well.

I have a 1962 ES-175 single pickup model. Tobacco sunburst and all original and plays wonderfully still.

It was left to me by a great uncle who died. The guitar was saved from a burning garage and had very slight heat and smoke damage when my great aunt brought it to me. After cleaning and some TLC it has turned into my favorite guitar. Ive had it 7 years now and play it frequently.

My problem is 2 of the machine head knobs shrunk a little and became discolored from the heat of the fire. The machine heads work fine(other than being a bit loose) but these 2 knobs look out of place now that they are brown instead of grey.

Should I find a vintage replacement set or just keep it all original until the machine heads fail completely? It is somewhat hard to keep in tune at times. Also, what do you all recommned to treat the neck with? It is in great condition but looks like it could use a good rubbing with some kind of wood treatment.

Thanks for any advice and I will post a picture of the instrument soon!

Matt

Photos always help in discussions of this nature, plus we all love to look at beautiful Gibsons.

As for the tuning machines, if two of the buttons are loose, and failure is imminent, I would replace the entire set. If one of the buttons decided to crumble and let loose it would surely be at the most inopportune time possible (like in the middle of a performance or recording session). Exact replacement "vintage" tuners are available (I'm assuming the tuners are Klusons), and replacement would just be a "drop-in" procedure. They even come with pre-aged buttons. You should also be able to leave the bushings in place and reuse the old screws for a more "original" look. Carefully package and store away the original parts (broken or not) for these will be a great benefit in the case of selling the guitar.

When you ask about "treating the neck", I'm assuming you mean the fingerboard. There are many commercially available products for fretboard (or fingerboard) treatment, check with your local musical instrument retailer. There are also people around here that have secret brews and formulas for this, I'm sure they will chime in.

Pics, pics, we want pics.

Archived