Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup Upgrade - SD Pearly Gates or Gibson 57s?

ratrob

Hello all,

I picked up up a used Sheraton II guitar in the spring. After playing the guitar all summer I'm getting ready to start my upgrades. Like many, I really would have loved a real flamed maple top Gibson ES 335 (Ted Leo is my indie rock hero) however I couldn't justify the $3000+ price tag. I decided to find a Sherri in good condition and replace all the electronics to get as close to the real 335 as possible. That being said I was ready to get a set of Gibson 57's for the guitar (std in the neck and 57 plus for the bridge) But then, I heard this video on Youtube of someone who put a set of Pearly Gates in their Sheraton.

this video really intrigued me as I hadn't really thought about SD's in the guitar. Has anybody upgraded their Sheraton to 57's or Pearly Gates? Can you let me know how your guitar sounds after the upgrades? I play some classic rock, Indie and Alternative. I'm not looking for ridiculous output but would like some crunch when needed (think radiohead or Silversun Pickups)

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks

Burstbuckers are a good choice also. BB2 in Bridge and BB1 in neck would give you some growl when you need, but clean up really well too. I'm a big fan of them, myself. If you are going to pay for 57's, I'd get the Burstbuckers instead, since they have a little more bite. But if they are going in a semi-hollow or hollowbody, you have to be careful about feedback, since they aren't wax potted. But the tone is awesome. I have a SD SH-14 Custom 5 in my G-400, and it's a great pup too. I wouldn't hesitate to throw another Seymour Duncan pickup in a guitar, they make some good ones for less than Gibson, and sound pretty good. I'm just not a fan of the 57's personally. So.. to make a long story longer, if you are only looking 57's or Pearly Gates, go for the Gates.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived