Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Shop ES 335 - 1985

Zab

Hi all...forum newb here...from Australia

I am in the process of negotiating ( on-line) for the purchase of a 1985 Custom Shop ES 335 - Vintage Sunburst.

Trying to estimate approx value (US dollars ok) and distinguishing features i should be looking out for.

It's not a figured or flamed maple top - just plain. It's in very good condition from what i can tell in the pictures

It has Grover tuners for some reason - i'm guessing these are aftermarket. Is this ok ?

I noticed the Gibson logo on the headstock has an odd looking (at least to me) letter 's' - it's kind of more slanted than the other, more upright letters. I hope that makes sense.

It does have the Custom Shop logo on the back of the headstock

I just want to be sure it is genuine and is worth the price being requested. I will try before i buy but just haven't got to that point yet.

Would appreciate all thoughts and feedback.

Thanks all. Zab

• 1 month later...

To be precise about Custom Shop gutiars before 1993: The official opening of the Custom Shop as an independent division with its own building and its own staff took place in 1993. Before that, the Custom was an undefined group within the Gibson USA factory. Members of this Custom Shop group were called upon as needed to fulfill custom orders for dealers.

The guitar on the pictures looks very nice, to tell if it is genuine it would be helpful to see the complete back as well and back and front of the headstock.

Archived