Gibson Brands Forums

First Electric Gibson solidbody guitar ???

Satchmo

Look at this :

A custom orderd instrument , orderd by a man from Brussels / Belgium ,

According to Gibson's shipping records , it was send out in May 1938

This info came by a appraisal from George Gruhn , made December 28 , 2006

The instrument is a doubleneck , solid body with two Charlie Christian pickups

One neck is a Spanish six string guitar neck , the other one is a lapsteel eight string

At the end of the seventies it was sold on a flea market in Brussels , with a case , cable etc..

On the lapsteel side , the pickup has been moved from the bridge to the neck

there is also a photo of the first owner , playing the instrument

A couple of weeks ago i found it at a guitarshow in Brussels /Belgium

Fantastic sweet sound !!

Is this the first solid body electric guitar ever made ????

What can you tell me more about it ???

Patrick

post-26865-016087400 1288878735_thumb.jpg

post-26865-047624600 1288878599_thumb.jpg

post-26865-024675800 1288878671_thumb.jpg

Wow, you never know what you're going to see here. Although it's not the first solidbody electric ever made (Gibson actually began producing them in 1935), that is a very interesting, early, historically important instrument.

It's not clear from your post... do you possess a complete formal appraisal from Gruhn? If so, I would think it would provide all of the important info. If not, you ought to think about contacting George.

It seems unfortunate (and a bit puzzling) that the pickup was moved on the 8-string side, especially the spot it was moved to... [confused] At any rate, you're very lucky to have such a rare item.

Look at this :

A custom orderd instrument , orderd by a man from Brussels / Belgium ,

According to Gibson's shipping records , it was send out in May 1938

This info came by a appraisal from George Gruhn , made December 28 , 2006

The instrument is a doubleneck , solid body with two Charlie Christian pickups

One neck is a Spanish six string guitar neck , the other one is a lapsteel eight string

At the end of the seventies it was sold on a flea market in Brussels , with a case , cable etc..

On the lapsteel side , the pickup has been moved from the bridge to the neck

there is also a photo of the first owner , playing the instrument

A couple of weeks ago i found it at a guitarshow in Brussels /Belgium

Fantastic sweet sound !!

Is this the first solid body electric guitar ever made ????

What can you tell me more about it ???

Patrick

Hi JimR56 ,

Yes i have the complete appraisall from Gruhn over here , i can also send the photo's of the instrument to Gibson

and Yes , it's a crime that the pickup is removed into the end of the fretboard , maybe it sound warmer , i don't know why and who did this

But i'm verry happy to have it with me

I still remember that i saw the instrument the first time about 30 years ago , a man bought it at the Brussels flea market

he showed it to me in a café , asking to me how old it was and the value of it ....

now 30 years later his son had it for sale at the guitar show , i think the instument was looking for me ....

Hi Satchmo,

Yes, I can understand why someone would want to move the pickup (to get a warmer sound). It sure seems a shame, though, from a purist's perspective. It will probably affect the value significantly. Then again, that's a rare item, so I'd think that would lessen the impact of the modification on the value. "Find another one", as they say. [smile]

Satchmo, If you refer to page 54 of The Gibson Electric Steel Guitars 1935 - 1967 book by A.R. Duchossoir an IDENTICAL guitar is shown. It would seem that as there are two examples and that both have the same pickup placement that the pickups were factory fitted in that position. The body used on your guitar looks to be adapted from a standard double neck and the factory must have placed the pickup in the neck postion and blanked the standard position. Possibly because the original pickup placement would have been hit by the player when strumming the top neck while playing in the upright position? I hope this helps.

Mick

Hi Prewargibsons ,

Thanks for helping ,

i don't have that book , but i 'll try to find it

But there is no sign that the pickup on the guitar side of the instument is replaced

this only is done on the lapsteel side of the instrument and not by Gibson , i think by the owner

the pickup on the guitar side has als different pole pices , one pice of metal for the 3 lower strings and 3 small pieces of metal for the higher strings

the other pick up for the lapsteel has 8 pieces

Satchmo, If you refer to page 54 of The Gibson Electric Steel Guitars 1935 - 1967 book by A.R. Duchossoir an IDENTICAL guitar is shown. It would seem that as there are two examples and that both have the same pickup placement that the pickups were factory fitted in that position.

Look at the first image in the opening post (the vintage shot of the guitar being played). Notice the original (factory) position of the pickups. It's the same guitar, photographed before it was modified, isn't it? Or maybe I'm confused. I don't have that particular Duchossoir book, but from what you said, it would seem to me that Duchossoir acquired a photo of Satchmo's guitar, taken after it was modified.

I'll try to find that book , i know the instrument i have was from the beginning (1938) in Belgium , i saw it for the first time about 30 years ago

it is possible that the man who found it in the late seventies on the Brussels flea market met Mr. Duchossoir or send him a photo of this instrument ...

Hi Jim & Prewargibsons ,

A friend of me had the book about Electric Steel Guitars

and Yes, the Gibson on p. 54 is the instrument i have

it never left Belgium , but the owner who sold it to me , have send photo's of the instrument to George Gruhn for the appraisal

and one of the foto's is in the book , yes , Walter Carter have seen the photo , but never had the instrument

What a storry ...

But my question was : Is this the first solid body electric guitar ??? or just a lap steel ??? or can we call it a Guit - Steel ???

like Junior Brown his double neck Fenders .... but just made 50 years earlyer by Gibson ???

Who will tell it ????

Archived