Gibson Brands Forums

FR80 value?

fastfolkert

Hi,

I'm thinking to sell my Epiphone 1986 FR80 acoustic.

It's a dreadnought size, matte finish and says "made in Japan" on the label.

It has a balanced, though a bit light, sound.

Since I can't find anything of the FR80 on the net, does any one have an idea of its value today?

(I bought it new in 1986 for around 250 USD)

Thx, FF

Hi,

I'm thinking to sell my Epiphone 1986 FR80 acoustic.

It's a dreadnought size, matte finish and says "made in Japan" on the label.

It has a balanced, though a bit light, sound.

Since I can't find anything of the FR80 on the net, does any one have an idea of its value today?

(I bought it new in 1986 for around 250 USD)

Thx, FF

FR80? Japan? 1986? Never heard of it. Can you post pics? You must post to another site like PhotoBucket, then post an html or img link here. We can probably help you identify.

Here's some history:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/54174-brief-epiphone-history/page__p__723248__hl__norlin__fromsearch__1#entry723248

This could read PR. The time frame is about right. In '86 Gibson's ownership was being purchased from Norlin. But yours is probably a late Norlin model. I don't know much about the PR series. Only that the PR's I've seen have three digit model numbers like: PR750

sorry fastfolkert, I have never seen a guitar that looked like this one. So I guess its possible that it was only made for the european market. So then I can't tell if its a laminate or a solid wood guitar which makes a differnce in value. I am hoping TommyK or one of the others might have seen something similar to yours.Ship

Not sure if they made one for european model, but like all makers sometimes dealers have special runs made for themselfs.Ship

I can tell you if the top is laminate more then likely the back and sides are too, it wouldn't make any sense for the maker to make just one part solid wood on tha back/sides and then make the top laminate. Sorry I couldn't be more help maybe someone else may come along who might know something more about your guitar, but as to value well I doubt very much if it is more then say $75.00 US dollars, maybe a $100.00 if there is a case.Ship

I just sold it on the net, for EUR 80 = USD 100. Case closed [rolleyes]

Thanks for all the help.

FF

Sounds about right.

Sure would like to get some history on that thing, though. At one time, Epiphones were moved to Korea, but Japan retained some higher range, guitars. This could be one of those, but I'm not sure.

Sounds about right.

Sure would like to get some history on that thing, though. At one time, Epiphones were moved to Korea, but Japan retained some higher range, guitars. This could be one of those, but I'm not sure.

I don't think it's a higher-end guitar. It sounds not bad, but lacks some bass. And it has a laminated top....

But there's not much on the net about those FR-series [mellow]

I now have a Yamaha FG730s, and that's quite some difference; more bass and nice ringing mids and highs.

Thx, FF

Archived