Gibson Brands Forums

ES335 Dot studio, fake?

Dragothic

Oooooo yukie, a Chinese made Epi. I once made the mistake of buying a late 80's or early 90's (can't remember, trying to block that POS from my mind) Chinese Epiphone (a quasi ES-335 called a Sheriton) in Nat finish. The finish was the ONLY nice thing about that guitar. It would never stay in tune, sounded like h3ll, a couple fake abalone inlays fell out in the first 3 months and the cheesy Goldish chrome job on the metal parts wore off faster than one dip ice cream cone disapears.

That Epi that you call a "Studio" is no Studio model. ALL Real Gibson ES-335 "Studio" models were WITHOUT F Holes and they came with Gibson's "Dirty Fingers" Humbuckers, which have 12 adjustable poles in each PU. I know, I have 2 '86 Studio models - a Ebony Black and a White one. NO F Holes! The whole point of a "Studio" model was no F Hole to feedback during recordings, or in enclosed theaters or venues.

Oh yeah, you KNOW a guitar (in this case a Epi) is real good ( [tongue] ) when the Serial Number "sticker" falls off. Maybe the 12 year kid in that Chinese Sweatshop lost the Elmer's Glue bottle.

Those that think the (older) Epi Sheriton was a good guitar, bargain, etc.; either your comparative levels are based on guitars you bought at BestBuy, or you are tone deaf with no taste in knowing a good instrument. Comparing a guitar made of Plywood to a Gibson Dot 335 or Les Paul? Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ..... =D> The padded room is waiting for you, well stocked with sedatives.

Never the less, this Epi depicted in this threads subject, ain't no "Studio" is one is refering to the one and only true 335 "Studio", because it can't have f holes - the purpose of being a studio instrument and the reason Gibson made that model. But real musicians would know that, and you Epi lovers don't. [flapper]

Sounds like we have another 'Legs'...

Archived