Gibson Brands Forums

Fitting Pickups In New 2010 Models (UK)

GibsonVAMP

Hi, I am new to this forum, I have serached the internet at length and also read a lot on this forum, but I just wondered if somebody out there has an easier/cheaper way of doing this??

I've owned many Gibson guitars over the last 7-8 years (I'm only 26) Voodoo series with the 500T and other models which I got EMG 81's fitted at my local guitar shop.

For one reason or another (money issues) all my beloved Gibson's were sold 2-3 years ago, which I regretted massivly! So last week I went out and bought the new 2010 Gibson SG Special Faded Worn Brown

Long story short, the bridge pickup to me is awful, it's the Gibson 490T, I'm struggling to get that big meaty sound out of it, it's quite twangy, it's almost impossible to palm mute with it, impossible to do pinched harmonics, I play very heavy Hardcore/Metal music through a Marshall Mode Four. My other Gibsons were absolute beasts with the 500T and EMG pickups, my Les Paul Voodoo is by far the best sounding guitar I've ever owned, even better than my Les Paul Custom with EMG's.

I want to change the Gibson 490T pickup in the bridge for a Gibson 500T, I've seen Gibson's new circuit board in the back of my guitar with the new "quick connect" wiring, so please please can somebody tell me the quickest, easiest and cheapest way of fitting the pickup without paying a shop £50 to do it, everything I've read so far suggests that Gibson aftermarket pickups do not come with the quick connect clips, so they have to be completely re wired, surely there is a simple ish explanation for all this??

Thanks Rich

I'm not familiar with the exact wiring/quick connectors in the new Gibsons, but as a general rule if you need to connect something to an existing "special" connector, you cut wires of the existing pickup leaving enough lead to "in-line" splice the wires of the new pickup to the old connector. No parts required.

Archived