Gibson Brands Forums

neck shapes

jack asselin

Hi, i just bought a woody guthrie southern jumbo 2010 and the supposed traditionnal V neck looks alot like the C of my J-45?

Can anyone tell me about it.

Gibson's use of the term "V-shaped neck" is a little different from other manufacturers'. They just mean that the neck doesn't fill the half-ellipse defined by the width and depth. Thinking of it another way, if you start with a nice elliptical neck and sand down the shoulders a bit ... et voilà! a Gibson "V". This covers everything from quite pronounced "V"-s (as on the Original Jumbo) through very, very soft "V"-s (as on your SJ, and your J-45 too if it's a recent model).

This is just my theory, but it seems to fit the facts. There definitely does not have to be a noticeable ridge for a neck to qualify as a "V" at Gibson.

By the way, if it's any comfort, the SJ never had what most would call a "V"-shaped neck, so a pronounced "V" would hardly be traditional. A WGSJ really should have a "C"-shaped neck (and a big ol' fat "C" at that).

-- Bob R

Gibson's use of the term "V-shaped neck" is a little different from other manufacturers'. They just mean that the neck doesn't fill the half-ellipse defined by the width and depth. Thinking of it another way, if you start with a nice elliptical neck and sand down the shoulders a bit ... et voilà! a Gibson "V". This covers everything from quite pronounced "V"-s (as on the Original Jumbo) through very, very soft "V"-s (as on your SJ, and your J-45 too if it's a recent model).

This is just my theory, but it seems to fit the facts. There definitely does not have to be a noticeable ridge for a neck to qualify as a "V" at Gibson.

By the way, if it's any comfort, the SJ never had what most would call a "V"-shaped neck, so a pronounced "V" would hardly be traditional. A WGSJ really should have a "C"-shaped neck (and a big ol' fat "C" at that).

-- Bob R

Thank you Bob R it helps

Hi, i just bought a woody guthrie southern jumbo 2010 and the supposed traditionnal V neck looks alot like the C of my J-45?

Can anyone tell me about it.

Jack,

I had a Woody Guthrie SJ a while ago. It was a great guitar now in the hands of another guitarist. The neck profile was not at all like a chunky V neck alas. I would guess that there isn't a whole lot of difference between the neck profile of a recent vintage J-45 and the Woody in any case. No worry! Dig your new guitar and make it sing.

Pic

Archived