Gibson Brands Forums

Hybrid Question

glennc

Howdy to all,

I am considering modifying a Epi Les Paul. Specifically I was thinking of putting a P94 and a 57 Classic in it. I would appreciate opinions on the position of the pickups, as I am looking for versatility and specific 57 and close to P90 sounds. I do like the sound of a 57 at the neck sound. But am willing to listen to any opinions as I don't know the overall effect. Thanks in advance.

glennc

Sounds good. If you think thats the sound for you, then don't be afraid to do it -- I think it'll work great.

Hello vincentw,

Thanks for the encouragement. I love the sound of the 57 classic. I also like the sound of a P-90. I wish I could get a better idea or an A/B comparison of the P-94 and the P-90. To see how close they are and if it is worth the effort, rather than just putting 57's in it. As for my sound I never had aspirations beyond the 57 and maybe a 57+.I have recently though thought of doing the pickup change to a Gibson Les Paul Studio and putting its Burstbucker Pros in the Epiphone. Unfortunately I am unwilling to purchase anymore epiphones, but I played an Epi Les Paul Goldtop with the foreign P-90's in it and it sounded great. Oh well. Thanks again for responding. Take care.

glennc

Guest BentonC

P-94's have been (in my experience) just a bit more warm that a regular P-90. I'm not sure if the bobbin is different to accomodate the humbucker case or not, but it sounds just a bit fatter. That actually makes it a really great matchup with a humbucker, as you get the versatility of 2 really different pickup sounds, but they aren't so radically opposing that it just doesn't work. I love a P-94 next to a humbucker, and I hope you will too.

You'll never know if you don't try it!

P-94's have been (in my experience) just a bit more warm that a regular P-90. I'm not sure if the bobbin is different to accomodate the humbucker case or not, but it sounds just a bit fatter. That actually makes it a really great matchup with a humbucker, as you get the versatility of 2 really different pickup sounds, but they aren't so radically opposing that it just doesn't work. I love a P-94 next to a humbucker, and I hope you will too.

You'll never know if you don't try it!

Hello BentonC,

Thanks for making the sound difference, clearer for me. Would you say that the difference can be made up with the EQ in my Fender Blues Jr. Amp? Since my thoughts are wondering, I am convincingly confusing myself. I have guitars with 57's. A couple. So I am wondering if maybe I should just go with the two P-94s. If the EQ will handle the sound differences, I will have a single coil guitar, which I do not now own. The other issue is that I think I am likely, can't really say until I play it awhile, going to swap out Burstbucker Pros for 57s in my new Gibson. Can you make any guess as to how the hybrid or the 2- P94s would sound in an all mahogany guitar? Thank you again for your time and your informative response.

glennc

Archived