Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird artist

Dodgermod

I was looking at these last year and was put off by the fact that they have a laminated top (as advised by Thomann the German website who were selling them at the time)- yet every review and US website notes a solid top.

although most write-ups have said that this guitar is based on the Hummingbird and listed the Hummingbird features. Can anyone confirm that the guitar has a solid top or is this clever marketing from Epiphone (or do the US ones have a solid top and the european ones laminate?)

All the information with mine suggested it had a solid top, (advertising of features on a sticker affixed to the pickguard), not what they otherwise refer to as "select spruce" which is laminated. If the top on mine isn't actually solid, I really don't care. It sounds really good, plays easily and has reasonable volume. For the price, I don't think you can go wrong with the HumBird Artist.

(EDIT) I just checked the Guitar Center and Musician's Friend websites and both of them advertise the guitar with a solid top. I don't know if it's discontinued, but I can't find it in the Epi section of the Gibson website, unless I'm missing something.

Archived