Gibson Brands Forums

Happy New Guitar Day To Me !!!

DennisMiller

I don't think my Gibson LP Studio Satin would get me 10 of the Epi guitars, but I'd love to realize an appreciation on my guitars to that extent. [thumbup]

The fact is, I am still pretty much a Strat guy, a country music guy and an acoustic guitar guy. Electric guitars are just toys to me and I've always sort of felt that inexpensive humbuckers played at household volumes sounded just as good as good humbuckers played at the same volumes. I don't feel humbucking pickups necessarily show their capabilities and personalities until they get turned up much louder than I can stand to hear at home. (My tinnitis is bad enough without making it worse) To complicate that, after playing a bunch of humbuckers in hollow and semihollow body guitars, I've found that to be the sound of humbuckers I much prefer to pretty much any humbucker you can show me in a solid body.

The one exception I once had was an Ibanez S470 with the old style Powersound pickups in it. Regardless of their name, they were the smoothest, sweetest sounding humbuckers I ever heard and I was a damned fool to get rid of that guitar.

So my current feeling is, the Gibby will probably go. Even after only 24 hours, I'm that convinced I like the sound of the Dot that much better.

Archived